How to get rid of Bba on my sponge filter

Ssnaaiil

Hello, I have a sponge filter in my tank and the top of the sponge is covered in bba, how do I go about getting rid of it on the sponge? I have another sponge filter and hob running on this tank. I would like to avoid killing the beneficial bacteria on the sponge filter with bba on it but I’m not sure that’s possible so here I am looking for ideas on how to get rid of it. The only thing that I can think of is soaking it in peroxide but that would kill the bacteria…so maybe someone else has a suggestion…

Marlene327

How long has your 2nd sponge filter been running? If it's been at least a month, you'd have beneficial bacteria there and could do without the infected one. I'd get that OUT if at all possible! What size is this tank?

Wait, just saw you also have a HOB - has it been there a long time? You'd definitely be good to get that bad one out, you don't want it spreading.

Fisch

Or you could spot treat the area with Flourish Excel. I myself would just take the filter out, swirl the impacted surface of the wet filter for a second or two in the liquid. It should work. Then it is lighting and time to control.

Ssnaaiil

Hob filter has been going for over a year and a half and other sponge filter has been going for 2 months or so. I am going to pull the one with bba out and clean it with peroxide and put it back in tomorrow

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Ssnaaiil
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Ssnaaiil
  • kallililly1973
  • Algae
Replies
Views
r5n8xaw00