how to get rid of algae Question

1. guppy man Member Member

I want to know how to get rid of algae, besides using chemicals.

2. Fishzone08 Member Member

The best way to get rid of algae is to get a bristlenose its a plec which doesnt grow too big but eats algae. If you have it on your glass then you can buy a magnet one magnet goes inside your tank and the other on the outside then when you move it cleans the glass.
    Also how often do you do water changes?
    It might be down to that.
    Algae grows by sunlight so if your tank is in a place direct to sunlight that might be the problem.

3. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

it depends on what type of algae. If the algae is ruff and doesn't come off easily, a pleco is no good, but if it does come of easily, a pleco is good. Or, you could just do it yourself by scrubbing, or get a fish tank magnet cleaner.

4. stefjane Member Member

I've got 2 Siamese Algae Eaters, 1 Bristlenosed Pleco and 2 Oto's. My algae was not fully eradicated until I got the 2 Oto's :D
    You can also make sure that you have real plants to take up nutrients, keep your tank out of sunlight and to keep those phosphates and nitrates down, by frequent water changes and not overfeeding.
    Also if you have a really bright, strong light but no plants that really need it, feel free to dim it down a bit.
    Hope this helps!

5. Beeker Well Known Member Member

Bad Wolf is right. You need to know the type of algae you are dealing with first.
    I had an issue with green hair algae once. I found out that it was because my light was old and needed to be replaced. As the light gets older, the spectrum balance shifts and causes conditions to be more favorable for algae growth. Buying a new light got rid of my algae almost in one night!
    If you are fighting an algae problem that does require an algae-eater fish, I would recommend an Oto.
    Here are a couple links that might help:
    http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/algae.htm
    http://www.otocinclus.com/articles/algae.html

6. mefishyguy Member Member

Like Everyone has said, depends on which algae, Diatoms (those pesky organismas that cover your tank in "black") need a rough sponge that has NEVER had contact with soap, if it green, an algae eater should take care of it or you could use a soft sponge, again that has NEVER touched soap

7. guppy man Member Member

I have green algae and clean my tank once every 2 weeks.