How to get rid of a snail infestation

Animefishes

A while back I purchased an anubias nana from my Lfs, when I got home I noticed a tiny black snail on the leaf, I wasnt worried because I didnt know they could reproduce asexualy and ended up with an infestation, they dont cause harm for the tank, but I plan on using the tank for a completely different project once the betta inside dies. I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of the snails wothout harming the betta.

Ghelfaire

An assassin snail. Hands down best method I've used. They'll eat both the snails and the eggs. They also have genders so they can't asexually reproduce

Animefishes

An assassin snail. Hands down best method I've used. They'll eat both the snails and the eggs. They also have genders so they can't asexually reproduce
Thanks for the idea, but im not looking to buy a new animal, my main goal is to just have my betta in the tank because once he dies i am going to completely redo the whole tank

Blacksheep1

If you’re going to re do the tank does that include substrate ?
Plants you can treat / manually remove snails if you were to re use them. Break the tank down , remove everything , deconstruct your filter , new pads or just clean them thoroughly.

Ghelfaire

Thanks for the idea, but im not looking to buy a new animal, my main goal is to just have my betta in the tank because once he dies i am going to completely redo the whole tank
You can just sell it when your betta dies

Blacksheep1

What’s the project next ? And what snails are we taking about ?

If you don’t over feed your tank you won’t have a massive population explosion .

SparkyJones

I would say if you don't mind not having plants or a substrate, to pull all of that out for a few weeks to a month and run bare tank and then spend your free time trapping and picking out the snails to remove them, they should be easier to locate with nowhere to hide and everything all being glass. Dipping plants in a bleach solution can kill snails and eggs. Make a solution of 1 part plain bleach to 19 parts of water and after dipping keep them on the side in a snail free container of tank water or jar to save for later and to keep them going for later use. the substrate, I'd say just toss that out. and start with new stuff.

I think in a couple weeks you can get the snails down to nothing like this, start with the large ones and work your way own to the newest smallest ones. and set traps with a container you should be able to get rid of the mature and reproducing ones, and then work your way through the babies before they mature.

Just keep the tank clean and no excess stuff for them to eat laying around and they will come running for the traps when you put them in.

Trust me as a person that has bare tanks, the one thing about them is every bit of debris shows and drives you crazy, so you will be more likely to do clean ups more often, and this will bring your attention to every single snail that is inthere also.

If you have to reuse the substrate, I'd recommend drying it out and then heating it at 200F for 20-30 minutes to kill whatever might be living in it, then let it cool and wash it out good. I just think it's easier and a safe bet to start with new substrate.

Most folks are adverse to doing this because they don't want to tear it all apart, but since you want to do something different, it would make sense to do this. you can even do this with the betta in there. and put the new substrate in and return the plants after the snails are for sure all removed and not returning.

Animefishes

Thanks for the replies, I intend on keeping a pictus gecko in this tank and these snails are super tiny, I was mainly wondering if there was a water treatment that can remove snails as quickly as possible. As for the assasin snail, it just seems like a hassle to buy one and resell it after only one job.
Apologies for being so picky about all of this, I just dont intend to use any of this for another aquatic creature.

Blacksheep1

You’re not being picky at all , I am with you in the don’t buy an animal to do a job thing, unless it’s a sheep dog ;) ..

Okay so tear the tank down , ditch the substrate and plants or sell them. If you ever fancy keeping fish again just strip and clean the filter then keep it , as it’s dry I’d assume you’d be fine. I don’t know enough about gecko’s to say anything more.

Im assuming you either have pond snails or ramshorns, ramshorns you could sell easily . Maybe you have Malaysian trumpet snails , you could sell those too. Instead of just killing then all , I’m just giving you options. I’d need a photo or a description at least though :)

Animefishes

You’re not being picky at all , I am with you in the don’t buy an animal to do a job thing, unless it’s a sheep dog ;) ..

Okay so tear the tank down , ditch the substrate and plants or sell them. If you ever fancy keeping fish again just strip and clean the filter then keep it , as it’s dry I’d assume you’d be fine. I don’t know enough about gecko’s to say anything more.

Im assuming you either have pond snails or ramshorns, ramshorns you could sell easily . Maybe you have Malaysian trumpet snails , you could sell those too. Instead of just killing then all , I’m just giving you options. I’d need a photo or a description at least though :)
Thanks so much for the idea, the snails are around 1 cm and have very long swirled shells, i do have a little 3 gallon that I might keep the plants in or just return them to my local fish store, this betta has come back from the brink of death on several occasions, so i dont think he will die any time soon, but I wanted to remove the infestation before it spreads too much more.

FishDin

Yes there are water treatments that will kill the snails and any other invertebrates. You can get them from the LFS. The downside is you won't be able to keep invertebrates in the tank afterwards. I've never used them, but for your situation, keeping one betta and later a reptile, it should be fine. If you kill a bunch of snails all at once you risk an ammonia spike from all the rotting snails, so you want to be aware of that and pick out what you can and test the water periodically to make sure to avoid problems.

Ghelfaire

Thanks for the replies, I intend on keeping a pictus gecko in this tank and these snails are super tiny, I was mainly wondering if there was a water treatment that can remove snails as quickly as possible. As for the assasin snail, it just seems like a hassle to buy one and resell it after only one job.
Apologies for being so picky about all of this, I just dont intend to use any of this for another aquatic creature.
You could also just keep it in a fish bowl or something until your new design is ready. Assassin snails are cute.

Animefishes

Yes there are water treatments that will kill the snails and any other invertebrates. You can get them from the LFS. The downside is you won't be able to keep invertebrates in the tank afterwards. I've never used them, but for your situation, keeping one betta and later a reptile, it should be fine. If you kill a bunch of snails all at once you risk an ammonia spike from all the rotting snails, so you want to be aware of that and pick out what you can and test the water periodically to make sure to avoid problems.
Im gonna try and pick up that treatment, will the treatment stop after enough water changes so if my mind changes I could add invertebrates?

adumsoza

Thanks so much for the idea, the snails are around 1 cm and have very long swirled shells, i do have a little 3 gallon that I might keep the plants in or just return them to my local fish store, this betta has come back from the brink of death on several occasions, so i dont think he will die any time soon, but I wanted to remove the infestation before it spreads too much more.
these are probably whirlpool ramshorn snails.

GlennO

Im gonna try and pick up that treatment, will the treatment stop after enough water changes so if my mind changes I could add invertebrates?
Many snail rid treatments are copper based which can persist in the tank and make it difficult to keep snails or shrimp in the future. Alternatively you can use trichlorfon which is an anti parasite med. It will also kill snails. However if you have a lot of snails there will likely be an ammonia spike when they all die off.

JustAFishServant

Hello, how old is your betta so far? Thing is, my oldest betta was 6 years old, my second oldest was 4 and I knew several folks with bettas who were 8 years old. All-red bettas have the lowest lifespan and I've never had one live more than 2 years thanks to what I believe is scale cancer :'(

Animefishes

Hello, how old is your betta so far? Thing is, my oldest betta was 6 years old, my second oldest was 4 and I knew several folks with bettas who were 8 years old. All-red bettas have the lowest lifespan and I've never had one live more than 2 years thanks to what I believe is scale cancer :'(
My betta was a blue red male half-moon that i got around a year and a half ago, he is around 2-3 years old

WagglePets

What helped my tank now there’s only a few was feed less and peacock gudgeons apparently they eat snails cause mine kept disappearing out of there shells lol

FishDin

What helped my tank now there’s only a few was feed less and peacock gudgeons apparently they eat snails cause mine kept disappearing out of there shells lol
I recently added 9 Peacock gudgeons to a tank with bladder and ramshorn snails. I've never heard that they eat snails, but I will keep a close watch.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AQUA_LOVER
Replies
Views
live4wetsleeves
  • Question
  • FlyingFishes
  • Snails
Replies
Views