How to get my neons to eat

FishGirl115

Well Known
How do I get my neons to eat!?!?! I've out food in feeding ring and just floating on surface, but they don't notice it. They try to eat random things floating through the water, so they're obviously hungry. They haven't eaten in 7 days.

Nickguy5467

Well Known
get some sinking foods to start with? like bug bytes or something. you can use both or just that for now. ive never had this problem. well or neons. i went with cardinals. flake foods should sink but with the ring around them there isnt much water movement to soak them to do so. i dunno. i tried :p

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Nickguy5467 said:
get some sinking foods to start with? like bug bytes or something. you can use both or just that for now. ive never had this problem. well or neons. i went with cardinals. flake foods should sink but with the ring around them there isnt much water movement to soak them to do so. i dunno. i tried :p
Alright. I have catfish pellets. They don't eat those eithet

Nickguy5467

Well Known
FishGirl115 said:
Alright. I have catfish pellets. They don't eat those eithet
i dont know anythng about pellets but sounds a bit large for them. try removing the feeding ring for the flake food .

juniperlea

Well Known
FishGirl115 said:
How do I get my neons to eat!?!?! I've out food in feeding ring and just floating on surface, but they don't notice it. They try to eat random things floating through the water, so they're obviously hungry. They haven't eaten in 7 days.
I used to think mine weren't eating too, and they're in a 75g community. But, they're still alive and healthy. Try the Hikari Micro Pelletts. I suspect they like tiny pellets. I could be wrong about that though.

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Thanks guys! They've gotten used to eating the flakes now! I'm so glad :)

Magnus919

It's good to introduce food that is engineered to spend time where the fish are evolved to eat from. Hatchetfish eat from the surface and should be offered floating food. Catfish eat from the bottom and should be offered a sinking food. A lot of schooling tetras hang out in the middle layers and need foods that sink very slowly.

If they are new fish and haven't eaten for the first time, see if you can source some live blackworms locally. It won't take many. Just put a few in and see what happens. Most fish can't resist those small, wiggly worms. And once they take that, they are more inclined to take other foods offered at the same time.

New Threads