how to get my moss balls to stay where they're at?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by cheesepuff, Jul 28, 2015.

1. cheesepuff

cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

I have a bunch of moss balls in my tank and I would like them to stay in one particular spot for aesthetic purposes. is there some sort of anchor I can get to hook onto the Moss ball so it doesn't float away into a different part of the tank?

2. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

How do they float away? Is there a strong current in your tank? It's kind of hard to weigh down a moss ball.... You could put them in a spot with a weaker current perhaps?

3. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

If you do anchor them just make sure that your rotate it some every once in a while. If the moss ball stays in the exact same spot for too long, the side that is touching the gravel will begin to die.

4. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

The moss balls will eventually sink once filled up with water and absorbed. I find mine floating right after I squeeze them out for a rinse but they eventually sink - if you mean just straying to different parts of the tank, you could anchor it down but its best to leave them free floating so they don't go flat and stay round.

5. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with Junne. The moss ball is a ball and stays alive because it moves around. If you anchor it to one spot and not allow it to move at all, you could kill parts of it or make it go flat. I've seen them at pet stores flat and they don't look like they hold together as well when they start losing their shape.

6. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

Yeah, I agree with the others saying the ball will die if one side is always on the ground. It's better for the moss ball to have it travel the tank. Are your moss balls actually floating on the top or just rolling the ground?

7. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

They roll on the ground. Thanks for the tips guys!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Come to think of it, I've had a moss ball in my betta fish tank for many months now with very little movement and it looks healthy as ever. Not sure why it lives if it needs room to roll around in.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  8. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

In the wild they roll around in streams, that's how they get their shape, they are actually a very slow growing form of algae.
    I can't get mine to stay where I want them so I just let them do what they want, they tend to roll into a corner or get caught on plants.

To keep them healthy your supposed to squeeze them out every one in a while and let them float until they waterlog and sink again, it was annoying at first when they wouldn't stay, I had them kind of pushed into their own little fox holes, but they managed to get out and roll away after a while. It's what they're meant to do so I guess just let them do it, natural is best anyway right?

9. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

When you do squeeze them out , do it gently , then roll it gently in your hands like you are rolling a meatball and put it back in the tank. I do that every couple of weeks. Love my marimo moss balls. Alison

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice