How To Get My Goldfish To Like Me

bio-tech1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have 3 fancy twin tailed goldfish that do not like me. For some reason they are always so scared. I have some fake plants to one side of their tank and any time i come anywhere near their tank they quickly hide. I thought goldfish were supposed to be interactive and not really care about humans. They will not even come out when i offer food. I have seen them a few times at night from a distance when they were sleeping so i know they are alive. I just want to see and enjoy my goldfish, what am i doing wrong?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How long have you had them? Is the setup new?

They may be settling in still. A feeding ritual might help bring them out of their shells.

bio-tech1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How long have you had them? Is the setup new?

They may be settling in still. A feeding ritual might help bring them out of their shells.
Two of them i have had for maybe 2 months now. The other just a few days. Funnily enough, the one i just got is the most responsive and hangs outside the plants every once in a while.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with the feeding schedule. They should come around when they see you as their source for food. As soon as I walk to my tank, they start begging. What are you feeding? Maybe when you feed, you can swish your finger in the water gently so they can see you are feeding them. I had to do that with my pond Goldie’s at first and now they wait in the same spot for me. Don’t give up. I bet they’ll come around. Is the tank in a quiet area or a high traffic area?

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I had some (about 4) common medium-sized goldfish on my old 75 gal, in the second week, they were still a bit timid and shy...so what I did was take some bloodworms or Tubifex worms in my fingers and swish my fingers gently around just bloew the surface of the water, to induce them into approaching the surface. Eventually, they got used to that and they will love you for it. : ) Goldfish and Koi do the same thing in ponds! Maybe try that and see if they cooperate and eat.

Or...Repashy!!!!!!

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom