How To Get Fish To Eat New Food?

marcus489

So I've realized that I've always been feeding my fish flakes and sometimes blood worms. I wanted to try out feeding Omega One MinI Pellets to my fish, especially because I've recently bought bolivian rams and read that they like them a lot.

It's been almost a week now and when I try feeding pellets, my black skirt tetras usually put it in their mouth and then spit it out. My neon tetras do the same, and my bolivian rams spit it and then pick it off the ground, but I've never seen them actually eat it... the rams actually do that with everything I feed them. Do they just scavenge around the ground and I never see them eat? Any help with getting my fish to eat something else, especially my rams??

Edit: since they don't eat the pellets I end up feeling bad and I just feed them the flakes

Attachments

• 15680831824524088763743232370210.jpg
    15680831824524088763743232370210.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 75

Crimson_687

You can mix both foods, or lighten up a bit on feeding so they feel more compelled to try the new food. If you have fast days in your feed schedule you can give it after a fast day. It may take them a few days to warm up to the new food, but they won’t go hungry either. Remember fish can go for months without food, but will (unless unwell) typically eat whenever an opportunity arises

marcus489

You can mix both foods, or lighten up a bit on feeding so they feel more compelled to try the new food. If you have fast days in your feed schedule you can give it after a fast day. It may take them a few days to warm up to the new food, but they won’t go hungry either. Remember fish can go for months without food, but will (unless unwell) typically eat whenever an opportunity arises
I'll try a mixture tomorrow. If not I'll try not feeding them one day. Thank you

Noroomforshoe

It sounds like you need to pre soak the pellets. pellets can be a lot harder to swallow then a flake that crumbles and gets moist quickly. get a shot glass or something and scoop up some tank water, add the pinch of pellets and leave it for 2-3 minutes before feeding. But somtimes it is just that it is new, and not what they want. and you can alternate, or mix, and ween them off the old stuff. Many new fish I have gotten were hooked on the cheep petsore food and needed time to adjust.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ghostdawg
Replies
Views
cichlidL
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question