How to get cucumber to sink?

1. Cheyenne Marie Palmateer Initiate Member

Oh my gosh. I've tried just about everything. My Tiger Hillstream Loach, Steve, doesn't seem to like the algae wafers or shrimp pellets, but I was told to try cucumbers, so I shall. Picked up a cucumber and I can't get the thing to sink for the life of me.
    Help! I read a little about weighting it, but didn't try too hard with that.

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Can be weighted with a rock or driftwood on top of that. They also make metal things to anchor your plants with that could work.

3. Charles556 Member Member

What codyrex suggested can work, but what you can also do is just place the slices into boiling water for a few minutes, dunk the slices into cold water, and squeeze them to remove excess air. I learned all that from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfIoNFvJ0K0

Hope this helps.

4. Skyy2112 Member Member

I put slices (circular, not halved) into a small glass, with about a half inch of water, into microwave for 10-30 seconds. These should sink, or try a veggie clip and stick it to the glass near the bottom.

Ps clips can be bought @ petsmart for about 2-4$. Not sure about petco.

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Stainless fork

6. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I agree I use a stainless steel fork and just lay it on the bottom of the tank. Alison

7. HelloUnderwaterWorld Member Member

I just squish mine:)try cutting into smaller pieces

8. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Blanched vegetables sink. Fresh vegetables float. You can use a bamboo skewer, which has the added benefit of being something fish like to rasp on. Or you can do frozen and thawed and let them fall where they may.

9. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I have something called a screwcumber. You could google that. It is a coil of stainless steel.