How To Fix Scratches On A Tank

Roseycat

Reaction score
My friend just moved her goldfish out of her old 5-gallon tank and into a 5.5 after I told her that her tank was too small (Still is too small, but her parents won't let her get something bigger) and now she's left with an empty 5-gallon. The tank is extremely cloudy, and the glass is scratched. I don't have a picture, but it's pretty hard to see through. I'm thinking of moving my betta who's in a 3.5-gallon tank into the 5-gallon tank, but I don't want it if I can't see my fish. Anyway, any good ways on how to remove the scratches and cloudiness from the glass?

I don't know if it's glass or acrylic, but i'm just going to assume it's glass.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I got a old tank that was heavy with hard water stains tried vinegar CLR nothing I tried worked, the tank was free so I thought why not try sandpaper [1000 or 1200 grt.] wet dry automotive it worked and did not scratch the glass but did remove some of the stain. Try it, it may work for you, you have nothing to lose.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it’s glass and it’s inside it might be tough since the last thing you want to introduce is chemicals that might leach into the water.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've used it but only in really bad cases, I have 2 that I've used it on and they have been up and running one with angel fish fry in right now but with being said I did scrub it very well than filled and pored half bott. of vinegar let set drain and scrub again refill and soak with bacon soda scrub let sit to dry and use. But that is just me.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom