How to fix hole in plastic hood & more Help 

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have this little tank I was given and it has hole and some cracking in the hood...I think it was from the lighting being ripped out. Does anyone know of a cheap way to repair that hole so maybe it could be painted over so it's not so noticeable...Ideas welcome I have not done all that much in the way of DIY aquarium stuff. I posted pics here

I had some lighting that went to a 10 gallon I believe & I took the lighting out of the canopy (with out messing with actual wiring) and it will fit perfectly in the little hood along with the reflector portion...my plan is to attach it in and that will be at least better than no lighting at all.

Then I want to paint all the yellowish/white plastic a dark color/black...any advice, I'm not sure the best way to paint it?

Oh and this will be a shrimp tank.

Cognity7

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Can you maybe tape over it and then apply a heavy coat of paint?

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wanted something a little more permanent than tape but thanks! ...what I think I am going to do is get a piece of plastic off the empty canopy and try to silicone or something to cover the hole...then paint everything black.

Cognity7

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
well i was also thinking maybe a foam board you could cut out to fit inside...

I am just trying to think of ideas

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would try to use silicone and put a piece of plastic or thin glass over it then just paint it.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom