How to fix: Copper to black and back changes

kippielynn

My copper veiltail fancy was in a pond and turned black, then back to copper indoors and now turned black again. Water parameters all good but due to change water today but all other fish fine. Will a brighter light on tank help or does he need more sunlight? Just not sure why he keeps changing back and forth- is that ok? pics are before and now. He is as dark as my black moor currently ‍♀

Attachments

FishGirl38

Well Known
I've heard that this has to do with their UVB intake. The sun gives off UVB and UVA rays (that most reptiles need for digestion).

Maybe this is silly, and I'm not sure what it would do to your algae production in your tank, but perhaps getting a reptile UVB flourescent striplight would keep him a darker matte black color indoors?

OP
kippielynn

kippielynn

I actually want to keep him copper colored lol. So sounds like he needs sunlight then:/ I was hoping maybe a brighter led light overhead would do it but artificial may not cut it.. maybe worth a try:)

FishGirl38

Well Known
kippielynn said:
I actually want to keep him copper colored lol. So sounds like he needs sunlight then:/ I was hoping maybe a brighter led light overhead would do it but artificial may not cut it.. maybe worth a try:)
Well, I'm not sure he NEEDS it. I would look into that some more, I've seen/heard contradictory things when I looked into it some to reply. It seems, (some) breeders use UV light to get their fish a darker, more desirable color. There is controversy over potential negative effects in this practice. Some say it's good for fish in moderation. BUT....it's technically UV radiation.

So long as you're feeding him a good healthy diet, I wouldn't worry about his color change, but to be aware that the change in light spectrum (between the pond and your LED or fluorescent bulbs) could be whats causing the change in color?

Additionally too, something I should note just because, UVB (or UV light) is filtered out through glass. So, if you were to start using a uvb light, you'd need to keep it from shining through the glass - and situate it right above the tank if possible.

MomeWrath

Well Known
I don't know what causes it or how to fix, but I am following and wanted to share my experience. I bought a coppery colored comet for my pond. She turned nearly black within days of introducing her, and then the black started to recede and she is bright gold now. All of my pond comets have changed somewhat. I had a red and white that is losing the red, a white speckled whose freckles are running together to just be all orange. I can't find any rhyme or reason to it.

OP
kippielynn

kippielynn

Thanks! I think they do change colors, I was just surprised he went back to copper twice and now is pretty much black lol

MomeWrath

Well Known
kippielynn said:
Thanks! I think they do change colors, I was just surprised he went back to copper twice and now is pretty much black lol
Maybe he will change back for you some day. My copper fantail I just got has some definite red-orange hues in his tail. I hope he stays golden for me. I like the (I guess it's called copper?) more metallic brassy color, myself. All three of yours are adorbs :)

OP
kippielynn

kippielynn

Thanks, they are the three amigos, always together:) I like the copper too but I may just have two black with metallic bellied fish. I am going to try to add another light in there and see what happens since they don't get direct sunlight LOL

New Threads