Mollyfish Initiate Member

hi
    Water parameters
    PH 7.6
    Ammonia o.50
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 10 ppm
    Uses api master test kit
    any suggestions as my daughter has done a 50% water change every day this week and is about to do her 5th one just seems to be stuck on 0.50 one day did go down to .25 that was 2 water changes ago. She has a 40 litre tank
    Fish 3 danios
    3 penguin tetras
    2 small guppies
    She also be getting a 80 litre tank next week

ANY SUGGESTIONS as I’m out of them
    And yes she rinsed the filter in water from tank

2. T

Tesla Member Member

Are you in fish in cycle or facing a cycle crash? In either case you are in fish - in cycle now :)
    I would suggest change water every couple of days once it gets close to 1ppm and then dose prime. Prime doesnt interact with ammonia from cycle perspective but neutralizes the affect on fishes for ammonia / nitrites up to 1ppm.
    Good thing is that you already are rinsing the filter from water from the tank.
    You have not mentioned what filter, do you have space for adding media - if you do then add some ceramic rings, matrix, lava rock, biohome - anything that will give extra area for bacteria to home on and in future filter pad rinse / changes will avoid cycle issues.

Hope this helps.

3. Algonquin

Algonquin Member Member

How long has this tank been up & running?
    Also please test your source water for ammonia, so you can rule that out :)

4. OP
    OP
    Mollyfish

Tank been up and running after fishless cycle for 1 month
    And no ammonia in tap water

Should not be in a cycle as it finished about a month ago and she can’t afford to keep spending out as on her her with 2 children no help from ex

5. Algonquin

Algonquin Member Member

I'm wondering what amount of ammonia was being dosed during the fishless cycle... maybe the bioload from these fish is a bit much for the amount of bacteria that was built up during cycling. Were all the fish added at once or over a period of time?

6. OP
    OP
    Mollyfish

Over period of time and she used bio boost for bacteria and was on 0 ammonia for 1 week and a half before putting her first fish in then only 3 danios, then another 2 week later and last 3 last week

7. Algonquin

Algonquin Member Member

I'm not familiar with Bio Boost, but if the tank had no ammonia source for a week and a half, that could be the issue.

8. OP
    OP
    Mollyfish

Possible but you only put bio boost in for first 3 days then let it cycle and to make sure it was finished cycling left it for a week monitoring the ammonia,nitrite didn’t go back up

9. Algonquin

Algonquin Member Member

So I had a quick look at the product online, it's not very clear what it is exactly... doesn't sound like a bacterial starter though. It says : "AquaCare Bio Boost gets to work immediately to quickly reduce harmful ammonia and nitrite in your aquarium."
    So if you did a fishless cycle using ammonia (what did you use for the ammonia source?) then once it was cycled STOPPED adding a source of ammonia, and added Bio Boost, you would have detoxified any ammonia that wasleft in the tank and then not 'fed' your cycle for a week and a half. So it sounds to me like your cycle stopped when you stopped adding an ammonia source. The good bacteria you built up during the fishless cycle would have died without a continuous source of ammonia.
    The reason the ammonia is likely so high and persistent now is that you are starting the cycle over, but with a high bioload of fish (fish-in cycle). Does that make sense?

10. OP
    OP
    Mollyfish

Sort of but it is a form of good bacteria and I used it when started my tank and my tank been fine had no problems and none with my parameters. I’d use it again as I’m thinking of another tank so I can get another beta lol.
    Have to say her fish seem happy. A friend suggested she do 4 back to back 50% water changes then a fifth one hour later I’m not sure if it will work but she going to be busy this evening after kids in bed lol hope it works as she getting a bit fed up as she been doing it for 4 days already

11. Galathiel

Galathiel Well Known Member Member

I think the issue is that she has quite a few fish for her gallonage. That's quite a bit for a new tank. She also probably doesn't have enough buildup to really need to rinse her filter. I think her beneficial bacteria is struggling to meet the ammonia needs right now and will need to grow more to be able to process it completely. If you have Prime available, I would dose the tank every 24 hours, testing ammonia each day. If it's .50 or less, I would dose the whole tank and retest the next day. If ammonia creeps up, then I would do a 50-70 percent water change, dose Prime and retest the next day. I would plan to do a couple of water changes a week at minimum on the tank once the BB colonizes more.

12. OP
    OP
    Mollyfish

Ok I’ll pass that on to her thank you for your help and all who posted

13. Algonquin

Algonquin Member Member

You can add as much bacteria as you like, but it still needs something to 'eat' (ammonia) to stay alive. ;)
    Agree with Galathiel that if you can get your hands on some Prime, she can dose the tank with that (will detoxify ammonia up to 1.0ppm) and then she'd have to do fewer large water changes (although still daily ones would be ideal, Prime only detoxifies ammonia for about 24 hours.) Too many large water changes can have a negative impact on the fish, so keep that in mind as well.
    good luck!! :)

14. WhoKnows

WhoKnows Member Member

Cut feeding in half and see what happens with water parameters.