How To Fishless Cycle With Dr.timms Ammonia

James105

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi Guys,

I am setting up a new fluval roma 125 litre. I have never cycled a new tank with ammonia so I am winging it a little.

I started by putting a cap full in which resulted in levels of around 6-8ppm, so I have waited 4 days or so for it to lower down to around 3-4ppm and now I am adding half a cap daily along with API quickstart.

Do I want to keep adding ammonia to the tank until I see a big spike, then stop adding ammonia until I have 0ppm reading?

Many thanks!

OP
J

James105

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A Quick Guide to Fishless Cycling - DrTim's Aquatics

This is a decent guide with dr tims amm - your just using the Quickstart instead of his one & only bacteria

Expect the cycle to take much longer than he states on this guide, 4 weeks or so is probably around average
Thanks' for that mate! Looks like I have made a few mistakes, namely running my filter whilst adding the ammonnia but I am sure It will be ok if I follow the guide from now.

jamesw6810

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Its not the filter you dont want to run but a skimmer or UV - running your normal filter is the right thing to do

3-4 ppm of ammonia is ok (depending on your final stock level, if your stocking say 1 Betta then you may aswell reduce that to 2ppm), essentially you might aswell keep adding the quick start and test every day - on-top of this, if you have a heater - raise the temp to 27-29 degrees and make sure your filter agitates the surface of the tank well

Otherwise, test Ammonia every day, when you see a drop, test nitrite, when that drops test nitrate - with the quick start, if the bacteria is beneficial you may skip the nitrite phase

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm a little confused. So you added a capful of ammonia which brought you up to 6ppm-8ppm of ammonia, but waited 4 days for the ammonia level to drop. Then you added half a capful and some QuickStart.

If you did not add QuickStart before the ammonia level dropped I'm confused on why it dropped. Unless you had some bacteria to convert the ammonia, it should have remained at the same level. It usually takes about 3 weeks of having ammonia in the water before a bacteria colony develops and starts converting ammonia. Of course if you added QuickStart before the ammonia drop, that would explain it.

OP
J

James105

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Its not the filter you dont want to run but a skimmer or UV - running your normal filter is the right thing to do

3-4 ppm of ammonia is ok (depending on your final stock level, if your stocking say 1 Betta then you may aswell reduce that to 2ppm), essentially you might aswell keep adding the quick start and test every day - on-top of this, if you have a heater - raise the temp to 27-29 degrees and make sure your filter agitates the surface of the tank well

Otherwise, test Ammonia every day, when you see a drop, test nitrite, when that drops test nitrate - with the quick start, if the bacteria is beneficial you may skip the nitrite phase
Ok got you I just did another test and the ammonnia is 1ppm, so I have added half a cap of ammonia along with a cap of quick start. Do you think I should keep this up for another week and then start testing nitrates & nitrites?

I'm a little confused. So you added a capful of ammonia which brought you up to 6ppm-8ppm of ammonia, but waited 4 days for the ammonia level to drop. Then you added half a capful and some QuickStart.

If you did not add QuickStart before the ammonia level dropped I'm confused on why it dropped. Unless you had some bacteria to convert the ammonia, it should have remained at the same level. It usually takes about 3 weeks of having ammonia in the water before a bacteria colony develops and starts converting ammonia. Of course if you added QuickStart before the ammonia drop, that would explain it.
I have been "seeding" the cycling tank with some ornaments from my established tank, and also have been dosing the ammonia and the quick start together from the begginning. It's a good thing it's dropping already right?

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, that makes more sense. I was really worried that you were getting some faulty test results. And yes...it's always good when ammonia is dropping.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom