How To Find The Cause Of Algae - Page 2

jake37

Ok. Thanks. Was debating on either burying it under the plants or dissolving it. both had advantages. Naturally if I bury it hte loaches might dig it up. Walgreen stuff was external use only - will check grocery store. I presume external use only is a formality (legality) but better safe than sorry.
--
Whole food store brand explicitly states it can be used internally (if others care).

Nick72 said:
Fully dissolve the Epsom Salts in a glass of tank water, then reintroduce the glass of water to your tank.

That way no fish will eat a lump of Epsom Salts

jake37

It might be too early to draw a conclusion but I think the epson salt is working. The plants that were coated in algae (and I presume were dead - very back of the tank) have suddenly put out very healthy new growth at the top; like wise the side piece (pictured) has suddenly put very strong growth on the top. I'll follow up again in a week or two. I had assumed all the holes in the new leaves of the ulvaceus was due to the clown loaches (the bulbs from the same lot are doing very well in another tank while barely growing in this tank) - I guess it wasn't the loaches but lack of magnesium. It raises the question why this tank doesn't have enough given the tabs and liquid fertilizer but I guess I can stop blaming the clowns.

jake37

Just an update. The algae has begun to die down. New leaves for the ulvaceus still develop holes as well as some of the older leaves for the crispus (but there is no browning around the holes which I believe is the symptom for low potassium. One side of my jungle val (the part that runs along the top directly under the light) is a bit browner than the other side and the jungle val has no holes and continue to send out runners. The swords really aren't growing that well in this tank - given how massive the jungle val is becomming I've increase the amount of thrive+ i'm putting into the tank. Also no muck is growing in the top (I have some floating plant and a bit of muck would form in them - brown stuff - that completely stopped about two weeks ago and the floating plants are now very clean). The 29's continue to grow like wild flower and I have no clue why - it has very low nitrate and very low fertilizer and very low fish population (2 rams, 4 small kuhlI (they were meant for the 120 but are angle food size right now), in nerite snail and one gigantic massive gold mystery snail - bit concern that snail is eating my ram eggs so might have to move it to the other 29 - not sure the rams are able to chase it away).
---
Actually in the 120 the new leaves have holes on the ulvaceus so does this mean I need to add potassium and if so what is the easiest way ?

tjander

Good news...

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom