How To Filter A 125 Gallon Aquarium? Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by fishkeepercori, Apr 16, 2018.

1. f

fishkeepercori New Member Member

So over the weekend my dad pushed me to make an impulse buy on a 125 gallon aquarium on Craigslist for pretty cheap. The add had like no information on it, so when we got home and looked at the filter, it was a fluval aquaclear 70 and obviously won’t work for the tank. My question is, what can I use to filter the 125 gallon, and is there something I can use in combination with the fluval aquaclear 70? Price is a big factor, but we are willing to compromise a little for reliability.

Also for like $60 there is an eheim professional 2 (either 2026 or 2028) on Craigslist right now, and would it be worth it to combine that with the aquaclear and another filter?

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

125g is a lot of tank...I would look at a canister. If the Eheim pro 2 can do more than what the tank is it might be sufficient but I would also get another canister to supplement that as well. I have a Fx4 for my tank and I really like it. I got it cheap at Petsmart but that was after certain discounts that apply. So I would do some research on how many canisters you want and what kind.

Remember on craigslist, you need to make sure all the parts are there. If things are missing you need to figure out whether the parts are available. In this case I would go new since this tank will be around for a while.

3. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Either a matten filter and the Aquaclear 70 acting as a mechanical filter or do what was said above.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice