How To Filter A 1.5g... No Sponge Filters

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Fahn, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I purchased and set up a very small 1.5g tank. I really like the nano aquascape and would like to filter it without disrupting the scape. Sponge filters are bulky, and also create a lot of splashing. What are my options on such a tiny tank?

(Will be for shrimp only) IMG_20180411_193451.jpg

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I use an Aqueon Internal 3 on my 2.5 gallon, and it has very low flow, I recommend it.

3. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Anything that can take up virtually no space in the tank?

4. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

5. B1GD4DDY

B1GD4DDY Valued Member Member

6. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

7. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

It's about 2 inches by 1 and a half inches, and six inches tall.

8. B1GD4DDY

B1GD4DDY Valued Member Member

I imagine you could make a small canister filter or modify the listed one to have smaller intake and hardware...

9. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I went back and forth on this for a long time for my 1 gallon buce scape, eventually decided on no filter. The hobs were too bulky and canisters too powerful for such a tiny tank.
    Yours is slightly larger though, so the Azoo mignon 60 might be okay :)

10. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

How often would water changes be necessary with just a handful of shrimp?

11. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

I know the King of DIY had a video about a diy HOB, if that's something you might be interested in... I can't remember the name, I think it was just DIY filters and it had a few. With a handful of shrimp, I'm not sure, weekly, maybe even monthly depending on the exact number. I guess just go by the nitrates, depending on the shrimp keep it either below 10 or 20.

Also your tank looks absolutely amazing!

12. -Mak-

Monthly perhaps? Depending on plant mass

13. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I checked out the Azoo Mignon 60, seems to be what I'm looking for.

14. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Azoo makes awesome nano filters.

You could have a tiny circulation pump and just fill the corner with moss.

15. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Alright, my Azoo Mignon arrived today and... it's too big. I guess I'm either making a very tiny sponge filter or using no filter at all.

16. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Ok, I redid the aquascape to make room for more plants. Will this setup cause any issues?

IMG_20180419_205854.jpg

17. -Mak-

I don't believe so :)

18. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

You should be fine without a filter, IMO. I'd just make sure to keep feedings down (if you feed), and to probably stock some fast-growing plants. You could get away with monthly WCs, but I'd probably do one every 2-3 weeks, depending on the size of you colony and your plant mass.

A DIY canister wouldn't be a horrible idea. You could modify it to add a gallon or two to your water volume, and only have a couple small tubes in your tank. If you choose a dark tubing, you could even have it completely blend into a background. It's not necessary, but it'd definitely add some stability.

19. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Fast growing plants I have. I just didn't want to put anything in that would take away from the scale of the aquascape.

I'll look into diy canisters. Think I could make one that just uses airline tubing?

20. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Not sure on JUST airline tubing, but I know the King of DIY has some canisters made with PVC and a single pump. Probably a $20-30 project, since you'd just need some cheap PVC and an off-brand pump from amazon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice