How To Figure Out A Pregnant Balloon Black Molly?

Cacret

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had my two mosquito fish breed. Today they gave birth, and I got 16 Fry! But it got me thinking, "Why isn't my balloon molly pregnant yet," Are different colored balloon mollies even able to breed?! Cause the guy at the lfs said yes. Btw, I am feeding my fry booldworms and they LOVE it. Any other food suggstions?

"Loving a pet is not enough, you have to discipline it, feed it and treat them when they are sick."
-Cacret

OP
Cacret

Cacret

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ya. Ornage-male, black-female. I can't tell if there is a black spot at the tummy cause it is color balck

"Loving a pet is not enough, you have to discipline it, feed it and treat them when they are sick."
-Cacret

BGKFan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
mollies will be pregnant all the time if they have a male present, but sometimes they will abort the pregnancy if they are stressed, or if the water conditions are poor. Mentality that... the fry won't live anyway so why am I going to bother giving them my resources.. from what ive read of course.

Lisa Schuster Altmiller

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
HI Cacret, first of all, yes, different color mollies can breed, it's just their coloring that's different. As for telling if your balloon molly is pregnant, good luck! I had no clue my dalmation balloon molly was pregnant until I noticed black fry swimming around. Because of their shape it is a lot harder to tell if they are pregnant than regular mollies.

BGKFan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
never had a balloon but I can imagine them being harder to tell ... always just assumed they got even fatter

OP
Cacret

Cacret

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Haha yeah!!! Its soo hard to tell , but I still haven't noticed it get fatter, only grew bigger. Well I guess it is not . I already anyways have mosquito fish fry, they actually grew!

-Cacret

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom