How to feed your apple snails? Question

1. Jackie Frost Member Member

Well, I finally got my apple snails, three blue and gold's (one was DOA). My problem is when I fed them two algae wafers, two of the snails got them, the other did not. Also my three platy's were constantly picking at the left over alage wafer. So this was like a second big meal for them. (Too much food for the platys?) At the end I removed the left over wafer, because my remaining snail couldn't find it and seemed it unwise to let that amount of food disintergrate in the water.

So how do you feed your snails? How do you make sure each of them get enough wafers? If the fish are helping the snails with their food, is it still necessary to feed the fish seperately? Was it right to remove left over food. (Especially when you consider my tank is still cycling with Safe Start.)

Oh and one more thing. I have some liquid calcium I want to add to the tank (to help strengthen the snails' shells) but I don't want to do anything that will kill off the fledgling 'good' bacteria. So should I hold off until the cycling is complete?

Great ' ...initialy putting them in the tank' thread by the way Robin. That thread answered 75% of my other snail questions.;)

2. David C Well Known Member Member

Snails should be nocturnal, so just feed them after lights out and the platy's shouldnt be too much of a problem. I only breed pond snails for loach snacks and I don't actually have to feed them, they manage off the extras from the main tank feeding.

Dave

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jackie. I feed my snails a slice of zucchini every other night. I attach a plant weight to it so it sinks. (rich in calcium) The rest of the time they forage for left over gold fish food. I had the same problem dropping in algae wafers and the goldfish getting them first.
    As for liquid calcium...i'm not sure. I've read of others using calcium tablets and even a tums every now and then. I just add an egg shell and leave it in the tank until it dissolves and then I add a fresh one.
    Best of luck. I hope you can share some photos of your new additions!
    Ken

4. omnitheforsaken Member Member

I just drop an algae wafer in the tank and the apple snail goes for it. The Mollie start off feeding on it but once the apple snail get's to it, he owns it and they aren't aggressive enough or strong enough to get him off the wafer. So they'll pick at whatever part of the wafer is still exposed but the snail is usually on top of the majority of it, eating away.

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

another thing you could try is to feed the platies their flakes at the same time. Sometimes I have to do that so my cories can eat...