How To Feed Shrimp W/o Betta Eating It?

1. Simon711 Member Member

Hello all! So I currently have a 3.5 g heated, filtered, cycled tank with 1 male betta, 2 ghost shrimp, and 6 dream blue velvet shrimp. So far they are doing pretty good, only chasing between the DBV Shrimp and the Betta. My only problem is I can't feel the shrimp without my betta eating all their food. I am currently trying to feed them hikari algea wafers. I have a shrimp dish. I have tried putting them in the dish, not putting them in the dish, and crushing them up. Crushing them up only mildly worked when I crushed them pretty much into a powder and poured it not into the dish. The only problem is this polluted my water and substrate a lot more. I have also just tried feeding a cucumber, which my betta hogged and wouldn't let anyone try. The biggest issue isn't that he takes their food, its that he eats till hes really bloated and I'm worried he will eat himself to death. That's why I'm scared to try and leave the food or cucumber in the tank over night like some people suggested, because supposedly the betta won't mess with the food if the lights are out. If anyone can help I will be really grateful! Thank you!
  2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What about putting the food under or inside something that only the shrimp can fit into?

3. dartzy Member Member

Having the same issue with my shrimp and my tetras. Been looking online for ideas to work with the idea that Aquaphobia brought up but haven't had any luck...
  4. Simon711 Member Member

Im thinking about trying to put the pieces of cucumber under the upside down dish and prop it up in a way that only the shrimp can get in, im worried if i do it this way though he will still be able to see and ram the dish hurtig himself or eventually wedging under the dish, but I will try it out and let you guys know!

5. California L33 Well Known Member Member

Your Betta was eating cucumber? Wow. I can give my Nerite snail spinach and my Betta won't touch it. @Aquaphobia may be on to something. Why not get an old air powered in-tank filter, essentially an acrylic box, make sure it has holes in it the shrimp can enter, but so small the Betta won't even try, then put the shrimp food in there?
  6. DHIWZ Member Member

Have you tried feeding both at the same time? Give your Betta his standard fare and while he's busy with it drop something sinking for the shrimp.
  7. Polyrhythm Member Member

I use a turkey baster. I wet the tip and stick some shrimp pellets or a piece of wafer to it, then push it down in the water where the food will land right above the substrate. The shrimp get their food without it floating down from the top and the betta usually doesn't notice

A container should work too. Just make sure it's something he can't fit in at all so that he doesn't get stuck.

8. Simon711 Member Member

My betta will literally eat anything. No matter how or what i put in there he finds a way to eat it. I have my feeding dish turned upside down right now with a small opening so he can't get in, even though he already made it under once when the opening was too large. Like really?! All that for some cucumber.

I have tried that and he quickly gobbles his food up then goes for theirs and gets really bloated..
  9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I had a betta who loved algae wafers. It can be difficult to keep him away if yours is the type!
  10. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

My betta won't touch algae wafer but neither will my shrimp lol. He loves to eat their vegetables and shrimp pellets though.

11. dartzy Member Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. Taking one of those cheap corner ones and cutting some holes in it. Only way to keep my tetra 'piranhas ' from the food! Lol