How To Feed Rubber Lip Plecs

1. fish time

fish time Well Known Member Member

So I have read many storys of rubber lip plecos dieing after being purchased because when people try to feed them they seem to not want to eat anything for days and even weeks so what do rubberlip plecos eat?........
    Might also try and keep a rubber lip pleco soon.....

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

While you can try algae wafers, blanched: zukes, cucumber, squash, or romaine lettuce are things they may go for. You can also try Ken's Cat Fish Sticks; they are quite healthy and provide a good mix for them.

As for dying from starvation, it may not be that they are refusing to eat (it could, tho), but possibly from being outcompeted; depending on the other fish in the tank, they just may not have a chance to get at the food. Therefore, it may help if you feed at night (and remove in the morning) and aim the food right at their face so they know it's there.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Advertisement

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

All Rubberlips are wildcaught and will often arrive underfed (like Oto's) / malnourished in our tanks.

Another issue is that several are more carnivorious than thought in general.
    My godzilla won't tough vegs or algaewafers but goes for Corypellete, living / frozen food. And it definitely doesn't get outcompeted.

They are coolwater / hillstreamfish
    So waterflow is important.

4. OP
    OP
    fish time

fish time Well Known Member Member

So rubberlip plecos arent aggressive to any other bottom feeders?

5. m

mbkemp Valued Member Member

I fed mine shrimp and earthworm pellets.

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Mine isn't. In with 25 Corys and a BN-female.

7. wes009

wes009 New Member Member

My rubber lip plecos don't go for the algae wafers but do clean the glass in the tank.. i feed mine a cucumber / zuccinni chunk each weighed down with a rock and elastic..

They seem to be doing well like that.

Advertisement