how to feed red wag platy and swordtail in a new enviornment

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Galli, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Galli

GalliNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi,

I just got a red wag patty and swordtail from pet store and placed in my aqaurium. The fish seems to be doing fine and is very active. But i am not able to feed the fish. I tried giving pellets but they seems to ignore it. It could be because they are new to the aquarium.

The aquarium setup is 5 months old and its a medium sized.

Please tell me how do i teach my new friends to eat the pellets or other shoulde i give some alternate food?

2. JoshM

JoshMWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    3 years
    Welcome To Fishlore!
    I would recommend waiting for a couple more hours and then start feeding. They are still getting used to their new environment. I would them color-enhancing flakes.

3. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +2,259
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Your new friends already know how to eat, trust me. They're livebearers, lol! They're probably just still adjusting.

4. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +313
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore.

Anytime that I add new fish, I usually do not feed them until the next day. Even then they may not eat, however, they will eat when they feel comfortable in their new environment. As long as the pellets are small enough for the fish to eat, they will not go hungry for long. It may take a couple of feedings before they realize the pellets are food. Even more so if they were being fed flakes or any other type of food while at the fish store.

Do not over feed your fish simply because you may not see them eating. Feed once a day and leave it at that. Over feeding can lead to other issues such as increased ammonia levels and lowered pH values.

Give them more time.

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

5. OP
    OP
    Galli

GalliNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you all for the responses. its two days now since i have added them to aquarium. so i got worried.

6. OP
    OP
    Galli

GalliNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    HI,

Its now 3days and still not able to feed them. they seem to active and playful mostly when the pump is on. rest of the time they just swim around or take rest. i notice them "eating" something from the rock and stones placed in the aquarium. Should i be worried?

I read that if the fish dont get to eat nutrious food, the color might fade. so please suggest which kind of pellets should i get for the red wag platy and swordtail (both have deep red body with black fins) ?
    Also i have 2 white angel fish and they seem to have got a red hint near their mouth and outer body now. Looks pretty. so i want to know if they are slowly changing color and if so is there any specific food to help them or is it natural?

7. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If they don't seem to like the pellets, then just use the typical flakes, that is surely what they ate at the fish store. You can try the pellets again later. As for color, a little variety of food is what usually makes the difference, such as a weekly high protein snack of some frozen food. Possibly get some freeze dried bloodworms to feed occasionally (presoak these). IMO A variety of food is the most important to enhance color and health.

8. OP
    OP
    Galli

GalliNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    hi,
    now i got realised how i can feed the red wag platy. i dropped some cooked rice and they started to eat that. so i guess the red platy only eats when the food items are near the floor of the aquarium and not on the top of the aquarium

So what kind of food items can i drop in the aquarium?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  9. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Platys usually eat from the surface, but there are all kinds of sinking pellets for tropical fish sold at LFS or Walmart or whatever. I have some Tetra (brand) granules that most of the fish like. The shrimp pellets for catfish are probably too big although all my fish eat them once they get soft and break up.

10. BrendaL

BrendaLValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have several platies and they seem to like to eat on the top so I feed them flaked food.

11. JyriT

JyriTNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It happens very often, that new fish from fishfarms do not eat at the beginning. You just dont know which food farmers gave them. Usually a lots of live food.But no need to worry.They forget their previous diet and step by step they will eat normally food yuo give them.

12. OP
    OP
    Galli

GalliNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi,

There is now a different problem... actually i wanted a community tank. i had earlier 2 white angel fish and now i added these 2 platies and a tank cleaner. i observe that that the angel fish is troubling the platies and tank cleaner fish. most of the day, angel fish remain calm but sometime they just scare the others away.what should i do?

13. MissSwan

MissSwanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    This is what I feed my fish (guppies and red way platys) and it is the only thing they'll eat! I would choose a colorful flake food as a basis and use 'snacks' only so often. This is experience of a year and +50 fish later

So this is what I feed them. I use it because it is colorful has a strong scent, floats and sinks.

I used the lfs website because that's the best to describe it.

Also it sounded like your filter is on only sometimes? If so, you should have it on 24/7.

Hope this helps.

Become a Fishlore Member