How To Feed Mystery Snail With Piggy Tankmates? Help

Discussion in 'Snails' started by smellyvegetarian, Apr 16, 2018.

1. s

smellyvegetarian New Member Member

We just got a mystery snail and I am struggling with how to feed him. He is in a 37 gallon tank with two goldfish who don't seem to give him much trouble (the bigger one sometimes pecks at his shell but not frequently enough to be an issue). My question is how I can feed him without the faster, piggier goldies snatching his food first? I just did a water change, and tried putting him in a bowl with some romaine and spinach for a while. He doesn't seem to be eating, though, and I'm afraid to keep him out of the tank for too long. I am having trouble keeping the veggies on the bottom of the bowl for him.

Also, I read I can put egg shells in my filter to help with his shell. Does that work?

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Don’t have expirence with snail but maybe take a clear cup put in water make sure it’s fully submerged out it over him and give him his food there?

3. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Mystery snails will eat anything they find and leftover goldfish food should have enough vegetable content to keep him healthy. That's if any makes it past the fish.

4. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Could you make some snail jello and put it in a corner of the tank where it would be hard for the fish to reach?

5. IvyC

IvyC New Member Member

We have cuttlefish bones in our tank to help with calcium. We also use sinking algae pellets and shrimp pellets. But they will eat anything. Our gourami recently passed and our little army devoured him before we could get him out. :yuck:

We also have live plants that they clean and I give seaweed sheets as well. I've done snail jello and they liked it but haven't made anymore since the first batch.

6. Pringlethesnail

Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

What is “his food” his diet should be around 80% meat. He can’t live off of romaine and spinach. If put him in a bowl to eat it’s supposed to be a bowl on tank water. You need something with fish, krill, spirulina, shrimp, crap etc in it. My snails favorite that is also really good for them is Hilakari bottom feeder wafers in the orange bag. Also, I recommend calcium powder from the reptile section for the water. Check out the care guide I made

7. Skye_marilyn

Skye_marilyn Well Known Member Member

Put him in a breeder box when feeding, this works very well. I recommend a meaty omnivorous diet, while romaine and cucumber is good for them they also need protein. Some o good options are Hikari bottom feeder wafers as @Pringlethesnail said shrimp pellets, clay neighbors herbivore crumble, possibly repashy or snail jello

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice