How to feed fry?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Anji13, Jul 31, 2015.

1. A

Anji13 Valued Member Member

Yayyy.. Finally.. My guppy is giving birth to fry.. :)

How to feed them? They are too tiny to eat flakes..

2. DrSahl

DrSahl Valued Member Member

I can't say for sure with your gubby, but I used to smolder the flakes between my fingers (so it gets very fine) almost like dust and then feed them with that. You should do that after you already fed your other fish normaly.

But again I am no expert so hopefully someone else will come here with and make sure what you can do :D

3. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

I use Hikari First Bites to feed my fry.

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I have found that feeding fry live brine shrimp is best for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I use flakes crushed into powder, haven't had any problems with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Coffee grinders work well for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. mobaby1231

mobaby1231 New Member Member

Crushing flakes works very well, but I have found that if there are no older babies with them, to show them that the little things floating above are food, they tend to take a while to readily eat it.
    Freshly hatched brine shrimp are perfect for newborns, when the baby shrimp swim in front of them they instinctively eat them, and they will soon learn, when you come near the tank that means food !
    Good luck! :)

8. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I always sink some for the little guys, it seems to take fry a few days to figure out how to eat off the surface.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. shadowfish

shadowfish Well Known Member Member

i use powdered flake food and never had any problems with the fry not eating it right away.

10. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Golden pearls or micron is really good for fry, but fresh hatched bbs should also be fed.

11. lily potter1223

lily potter1223 Valued Member Member

My personal favourite is newly hatched brine shrimp, but make sure you rinse them well... some of my guppies got sick afterwards when I didn't rinse them.

12. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

I've used New Life spectrum growth formula for 10+ batches of fry! It's a powder so you only need a little. A 50 gram container lasts YEARS and it doesn't foul up the water like flakes will.

13. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

There's always the yolk of a hard boiled egg.

Get a freshly hard boiled egg.

Slice it in half, exposing the yolk.

Take a teaspoon or so of the yolk, and mix it with an ounce or two of dechlorinated water. I've used a blender to really whizz it all together so the particles are tiny.

Eat the rest of the egg. :)

Put the "soup" in a small sealable jar or container and keep it in the fridge. It's good for a couple of days, then throw it out and start over.

To feed, take the container out of the fridge and shake it up vigorously, then use an eyedropper to put a few drops in the tank.

The fry go nuts for it. And their little bellies turn yellow from it!

It's worked like a charm for me.

Then take flake food or any other good fish food and grind it very fine. A mortar and pestle will really do a number on it.

I mixed up a batch of finely powdered food including flake food, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, and some veggie sticks. It's worked very well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice