How To Feed Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp?

marcus489

New Member
Member
Messages
32
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but how do you guys prepare and feed your freeze dried brine shrimp to your fish? I originally dropped the whole cube thinking that it would break apart on it's own but I realize that's very wrong.
I have the omega one freeze dried cubes and I'm not sure on how much to use and how to feed properly.
 

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,565
Do you mean frozen or freeze dried (like the dry food in the containers sold by the flakes)? Based on your post I think you mean frozen.

Frozen I put into a small dish and leave out to thaw. I then take tweezers and pick up a little bit and put it in at a time so I don't just have a ton going into the filter. Some of my fish are slow haha! You can also use like a turkey baster type thing to suck it up and squirt it into the tank. You don't want to just put a frozen cube in. If its one of the gel foods I thaw and rip it up into small pieces to feed.
 

pagoda

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,392
Freeze dried brine are irritating, you have to tear the cube apart and then tear the bits apart and keep doing that til its virtually dust particle sized. Takes a while to prepare but the fish love it so its worth the time spent seeing their little faces peering at you with mouths full
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
M

marcus489

New Member
Member
Messages
32
e_watson09 said:
Do you mean frozen or freeze dried (like the dry food in the containers sold by the flakes)? Based on your post I think you mean frozen.

Frozen I put into a small dish and leave out to thaw. I then take tweezers and pick up a little bit and put it in at a time so I don't just have a ton going into the filter. Some of my fish are slow haha! You can also use like a turkey baster type thing to suck it up and squirt it into the tank. You don't want to just put a frozen cube in. If its one of the gel foods I thaw and rip it up into small pieces to feed.
I meant freeze dried, like the dry ones sold in containers. Thank you though
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
M

marcus489

New Member
Member
Messages
32
pagoda said:
Freeze dried brine are irritating, you have to tear the cube apart and then tear the bits apart and keep doing that til its virtually dust particle sized. Takes a while to prepare but the fish love it so its worth the time spent seeing their little faces peering at you with mouths full
I'll try that, thank you. Someone else said that they put a piece in a cup that has the aquarium water in it, then they pour a little bit at a time. That worked quite well for me :shame:
 

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,364
I've used frozen products that don't break up on their own and eventually sink. At first I thawed them in tank water and then mushed it around until it broke up. I suspect you could do the same to break up the freeze dried stuff easily. Alternatively, I ended up just chucking the cubes in whole not caring if they sank as a gross mass. My cichlids will find it and get great big mouthfulls. Whatever they leave behind, most of my fish will find and pick at while grazing, and worst case I have kuhlis and amanos that will clean it up when they come across it.
 

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,565
marcus489 said:
I meant freeze dried, like the dry ones sold in containers. Thank you though
Oh crazy! I didn't know you could get it like that! Most freeze dried foods lose a lot of their nutrients. When I feed freeze dried, which is rarely, I soak them in aquarium water for a good hour or so to rehydrate them. I'd imagine you can do the same with the cubes and you can break it up easier.
 

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,364
e_watson09 said:
Oh crazy! I didn't know you could get it like that! Most freeze dried foods lose a lot of their nutrients. When I feed freeze dried, which is rarely, I soak them in aquarium water for a good hour or so to rehydrate them. I'd imagine you can do the same with the cubes and you can break it up easier.
This is a common myth perpetuated by people not understanding how the process works, nor what they are reading on the label. If freeze drying were that detrimental, the military would show severe malnourishment, as well as astronauts. Freeze dried are third best behind frozen and live, but they aren't lacking in anything, and they pose far less risk than the other two.
 

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,565
Wraithen said:
This is a common myth perpetuated by people not understanding how the process works, nor what they are reading on the label. If freeze drying were that detrimental, the military would show severe malnourishment, as well as astronauts. Freeze dried are third best behind frozen and live, but they aren't lacking in anything, and they pose far less risk than the other two.
There's actually a lot of argument about this and research being done as there have been studies done saying certain vitamins, minerals, and some proteins begin to break down during this process. Depending on the type of meat the food is also cooked before freeze drying which also brings in additional chances for the nutritional value to be reduced (I raw feed my dogs so I have done A LOT of research behind cooking protein sources versus feeding it raw). So nutritionally frozen will always be a better option. I'd also argue that pellets are better than freeze dried as well for the reasons listed above but also that a good pellet is meant as a complete diet meaning it has multiple sources of vitamins and minerals added.

Coming from a military family I can also speak to the M.R.E., they would have to eat these a LONG time before they caused any issues as yes they provide substance to our soldiers BUT a fresh/frozen meal is going to be preferred when possible. I can also speak to knowing many soldiers who M.R.E.s actually cause major digestational "issues" anytime they eat them. For example, did you know there was a special piece of gum that came in a lot of the MRE's? Do you know why? It had a laxative in it as the food would cause constipation issues.

M.R.E.s were designed as an emergency food source, which means will it help you survive in an emergency? Heck yes! Is it the best option long term? Nope. If it were a better option than "real" food the military would be feeding it to their soldiers 24/7. So between all of that and the pretty regular constipation issues it causes I think you can see why freeze dried food is something I do not bother with, too many better options out there with less questions
 

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,364
e_watson09 said:
There's actually a lot of argument about this and research being done as there have been studies done saying certain vitamins, minerals, and some proteins begin to break down during this process. Depending on the type of meat the food is also cooked before freeze drying which also brings in additional chances for the nutritional value to be reduced (I raw feed my dogs so I have done A LOT of research behind cooking protein sources versus feeding it raw). So nutritionally frozen will always be a better option. I'd also argue that pellets are better than freeze dried as well for the reasons listed above but also that a good pellet is meant as a complete diet meaning it has multiple sources of vitamins and minerals added.

Coming from a military family I can also speak to the M.R.E., they would have to eat these a LONG time before they caused any issues as yes they provide substance to our soldiers BUT a fresh/frozen meal is going to be preferred when possible. I can also speak to knowing many soldiers who M.R.E.s actually cause major digestational "issues" anytime they eat them. For example, did you know there was a special piece of gum that came in a lot of the MRE's? Do you know why? It had a laxative in it as the food would cause constipation issues.

M.R.E.s were designed as an emergency food source, which means will it help you survive in an emergency? Heck yes! Is it the best option long term? Nope. If it were a better option than "real" food the military would be feeding it to their soldiers 24/7. So between all of that and the pretty regular constipation issues it causes I think you can see why freeze dried food is something I do not bother with, too many better options out there with less questions
The gum being a laxative isn't true. It's for oral hygiene, not constipation. Most of the gut issues are due to the environment and change in food, not necessarily the quality. There isn't a lot of fats in MRE. The first cheeseburger in California after a couple weeks on rations usually causes opposing gut issues. Make no mistake, when we get a "hot meal," it's also shelf stable, highly preserved kit, just on a much bigger scale. MREs are not for emergencies. They are day in day out sustenance. (Nor are they 4k calories if you eat everything in the bags, most of them are around 2k knowing soldiers won't eat all of most bags, but are encouraged to eat at least a little of each thing so macros and micros are kept somewhat in balance, and soldiers that are burning 4-5k calories a day can sustain themselves by eating all of them)


Back mostly onto topic, this explains the process:

 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
204
Guests online
3,035
Total visitors
3,239

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom