How to feed fish when on vacation?

SomyaValecha

I'm going on vacation for 6 days and I won't be able to monitor my tanks while I'm gone.
I have 4 tanks:
A 75-Gallon
A 36-gallon with angelfish fry (1-2 month old) and 2 adult pleco
A 10-gallon mutlifasciatus tank with fry
A 10-gallon tank with a betta
For lighting, I think I'll just let the aquariums run on natural light (they're next to a window) so it shouldn't be a problem. The 75, 36, and 10-gallon with the betta should all be fine without a week of food. The only tank I'm worried about is the 10-gallon tank with the multifasciatus fry. I would ask a neighbor to feed the tank but I don't even trust my mom to feed my fish without my supervision let alone a neighbor. Plus, I've heard tons of horror stories about people leaving their tanks with someone and them overfeeding and killing the fish. So is there another way I could feed the fry? Can they survive without food for a week?

Bettaboo123

Hey so in some pet stores they have 7 day vacation feeders you could look for that? I know there are different ones for different fish but the most common are Betta I think.

Upvote 0

BlueGlofish

I'm going on vacation for 6 days and I won't be able to monitor my tanks while I'm gone.
I have 4 tanks:
A 75-Gallon
A 36-gallon with angelfish fry (1-2 month old) and 2 adult pleco
A 10-gallon mutlifasciatus tank with fry
A 10-gallon tank with a betta
For lighting, I think I'll just let the aquariums run on natural light (they're next to a window) so it shouldn't be a problem. The 75, 36, and 10-gallon with the betta should all be fine without a week of food. The only tank I'm worried about is the 10-gallon tank with the multifasciatus fry. I would ask a neighbor to feed the tank but I don't even trust my mom to feed my fish without my supervision let alone a neighbor. Plus, I've heard tons of horror stories about people leaving their tanks with someone and them overfeeding and killing the fish. So is there another way I could feed the fry? Can they survive without food for a week?
First off... 4 tanks?? Wow that's like my dream! (I have 1 ten gallon). 2nd, ur aquarium shouldn't be next to ur window, it could cause water temp. to change and possibly grow algae. Anyway, u should buy an auto fish feeder it's kinda like a machine that feeds ur fish. If u dont like that idea, I heard that fish can go weeks without food so u could consider that. Idk about fry tho. That could be hard to leave for a week.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Hey SomyaValecha juvenile shellies should be ok and possibly the young shellies. As you have them in a ten gallon you probably don’t have room for the dozens of fry these fish produce anyway.

I have left my tanks for ten days no worries.

Upvote 0

ruud

I general I would say, what loss are you willing to accept? In my species-only tanks (other species then shellies), I let nature run its course. For instance, I don´t cultivate and offer additional infusoria. Every now and then I notice some fry and only a few survive to adulthood. So it raises the question, is your tank capable of producing foods in a natural way for your fry? In that sense, I think the sunlight can actually help. But I have no experience with shellies.

Upvote 0

DuaneV

6 days is nothing. I leave all my tanks for up to 2 weeks a few times a year, no problem. Ive never come home to fish that have starved to death.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
bettafairy