55 Gallon Tank How to feed community ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew 43920

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What would you say is the best way to feed this tank so that all residents get a good meal ?

M & F Molly & many fry
M & F Sword-tails & a few fry
M & F Fantail Guppy
2 B.A. Tetras M; 1 M Betta
Ghost Shrimp, MTS
Java Ferns & Guppy Grass

Thank you

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the mollys, swordtails, guppies and tetras would like a good quality flake food....probably with some frozen bloodworms once in a while.

the betta, who shouldn't be in a community tank, will like betta pellets, and frozen bloodworms. you're going to have to try to spot feed him, so he gets what he needs.

the ghost shrimp would get some sinking shrimp pellets. the mts would probably eat that too. mine also like wafers.

hope i helped!

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That sounds like a nice community mix.

I would break up some fish flakes between your fingers during feeding (easier for your fry to eat). Maybe add a second kind of food every couple of days like a shrimp pellet or an algae crisp just to make sure they are getting a wide nutritional range.

P.S. What's kind of plant is guppy grass?

I asumed your betta is in a differant tank right?

Last edited:

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What I do with my community is I have Hikari micro sinking wafers. Most of the fish eat at the surface, but a few of the wafers usually drift below the school, where the more shy fish can get their own snack.
While feeding the adults, you may want to sprinkle some crushed up flakes near the fry's hiding space.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I alternate foods each day so they get a variety. Every morning the 20g and 5g get flakes and the 37g get flakes and either algae wafers or shrimp pellets (one morning it's wafers, the next morning it's pellets). Then at night I alternate between a veggie one night and frozen brine shrimp/spirulina. Every once in awhile I'll give everyone freeze dried blood worms (soaked before hand, should do it in garlic juice) or nori, the seaweed used to make sushi. Your livebearers are omnivores so they need veggies.

Read the ingredients on any packaged foods because they may contain copper, which can harm the shrimp if they're exposed to enough of it.

-Lisa

OP
Drew 43920

Drew 43920

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Community Tank.......

the mollys, swordtails, guppies and tetras would like a good quality flake food
the betta, who shouldn't be in a community tank, will like betta pellets, and frozen bloodworms. you're going to have to try to spot feed him, so he gets what he needs.
the ghost shrimp would get some sinking shrimp pellets. the mts would probably eat that too. mine also like wafers.

hope i helped!
What kind of flake food would you recommend ?
Why shouldn't Bette be in tank ? He seems happy

OP
Drew 43920

Drew 43920

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Community tank....

That sounds like a nice community mix.
I would break up some fish flakes between your fingers during feeding (easier for your fry to eat). Maybe add a second kind of food every couple of days like a shrimp pellet or an algae crisp just to make sure they are getting a wide nutritional range.
P.S. What's kind of plant is guppy grass?
What kind of flake food would you suggest ?

http://naturalaquariums.com/plants/najas.html

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any flake food is fine. I feed mine TopFin.

Bettas, especially males, are territorial and aggressive. Some members here have had good luck with keeping bettas in a community tank but others have had the bettas shred the other fish, sometimes even after a period of peace. Females are raised in big groups so they are slightly more likely to play nice. Remember, the other name for Bettas is Siamese Fighting Fish.

-Lisa

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
for the fry i would feed 3to4 times a day thats what im doin with mine and they are growin fast just be carefull not to polute the water as for the bottom feeders i have to spott feed them cuz mollies are very indescriminate eaters and will go for anything that moves

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yes lisa is right about the male betta being ok in the beginning, but could quickly turn on the other fish. it could be even a year. you just need to keep a close eye on him.

the flake food i feed is i think omega one? it's a good quality with omega fats. i'm not at home, so later i'll look. i can even list some of the ingedients so you can get an idea what's in it.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
good idea jaysee!

I feed mine hikari micro pellets and a NLS community and some algae wafers every now and then. Every week or so I give them bloodworms as a treat only.

The betta should not be in a community tank with fry or the guppies... Heres my 2 cents:

Your 55G is quite big, so you could divide a small space in a corner that he could live in??? Otherwise (yay MTS!) you could get a 5 gallon tank from walmart and he would really like it! Heres the dividing link...

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/dividing-a-tank-for-bettas-fun-and-low-cost.46452/

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When I had my betta in a community, I fed two types of flakes. Normal tropical flakes for the mollies and tetras. I sprinkle them on top, slightly crushed then agitate the surface so some sink and some float. Then when the other fish are eating, I'd sprinkle betta bites or special higher protein flakes where the betta was hanging out. And then shrimp pellets for the cories and an algae wafer which everyone munched on.
And all those fish will LOVE blood worms. I usually feed them to my community and betta twice a week.

OP
Drew 43920

Drew 43920

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can't catch them

Any flake food is fine. I feed mine TopFin.

Bettas, especially males, are territorial and aggressive. Some members here have had good luck with keeping bettas in a community tank but others have had the bettas shred the other fish, sometimes even after a period of peace. Females are raised in big groups so they are slightly more likely to play nice. Remember, the other name for Bettas is Siamese Fighting Fish.

-Lisa
I have been watching tank. Betta is way slower then every body else.
Do Betta eat fry ?

OP
Drew 43920

Drew 43920

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Add water

When I had my betta in a community, I fed two types of flakes. Normal tropical flakes for the mollies and tetras. I sprinkle them on top, slightly crushed then agitate the surface so some sink and some float. Then when the other fish are eating, I'd sprinkle betta bites or special higher protein flakes where the betta was hanging out. And then shrimp pellets for the cories and an algae wafer which everyone munched on.
And all those fish will LOVE blood worms. I usually feed them to my community and betta twice a week.
I put some flakes in small bottle of water, add vitamins, shake and pour, then sprinkle some on top. Use baster to spot feed betta. Sometimes blood worms & shrimp flakes
Drop in sinking algae & shrimp for shrimp.

Last edited:

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your 55G is quite big, so you could divide a small space in a corner that he could live in??? Otherwise (yay MTS!) you could get a 5 gallon tank from walmart and he would really like it!

you should look into betta condos im getting one they are cheap and alow the betta to enjoy the community ive seen them for as low as 8 dollars for a 4 sectional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom