How to euthanize ghost shrimp?

LanceDog

I found a couple of my ghosts with their back legs rotting. The shrimp are not very active and didn't make an attempt to flee when I netted them out of the tank to separate them. I rather euthanize them now based on these conditions but I don't know how. I have euthanized many fish with clove oil. I am not comfortable crushing the shrimp as some suggest. I don't have any fish to feed them to (and wouldn't feed ill shrimp to fish anyway). I have clove oil on hand, and could freeze them if needed...the latter I am not all that thrilled with, but could do if needed.

gregoranddexter1816

Maybe stun with cold water/ice and crush or use clove oil? Never used clove oil on shrimp before.

LanceDog

There is absolutely no way I have the guts to crush them. I just can't do it. I rather freeze them than do that.

gregoranddexter1816

LanceDog said:
There is absolutely no way I have the guts to crush them. I just can't do it. I rather freeze them than do that.
My bad thought it said you were comfortable! If you live near a pond or lake I'm sure that the bigger fish would greatly appreciate the food. are they able to be saved at all? I'm sure not since you don't seem too eager to put them down either.

kansas

put them in ice water, they won't suffer long and will die quickly.

LanceDog

gregoranddexter1816 said:
My bad thought it said you were comfortable! If you live near a pond or lake I'm sure that the bigger fish would greatly appreciate the food. are they able to be saved at all? I'm sure not since you don't seem too eager to put them down either.
I don't know if they can be saved. I'm not a shrimp pro. They're ghosts and 30 cents so they can be replaced. The way they act (not fleeing) is key to me that I probably shouldn't go out of my way to help. I moved them in hopes that the rest of my shrimp won't get this problem. A few of my now dead shrimp had what I believe was muscuar necrosis, so I'm trying to get that to end as well. I do love these critters and feel bad for them, but I also don't feel it is worth it to separate them and do the daily upkeep on an unfiltered little 3.5 gal which is all I have to separate them into.

H Farnsworth

Either clove or ice. Copper is another option. Boiling water would also instantly kill them. I honestly never euthanize I just try to improve quality of life and hope for improvement. If they die then they die but if I kill them I can’t go back. I think it’s always worth trying.

Klaudia

How about those gum removers. The spray will freeze them instantly.

H Farnsworth

H Farnsworth

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom