How To Entice My Nerite To Come Out Of Hiding? Help

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by fishrlene, Jun 25, 2019.

1. fishrleneValued MemberMember

Hello, do you have any suggestions how to entice a Nerite Snail to either come out of hiding or not leave the tank anymore? Every few days it goes missing and I find it outside the glass of my tank. I have covered every nook and cranny (other than the filter) of my tank and I can’t find it AGAIN! Today I tried hanging a piece of cucumber on the side of the glass to see if it will come to it, but no luck.

It’s really quite frustrating. Other than a high pH (8.2) my water parameters are perfect (Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 5).

I’m hoping it is in the tank and just hiding ...

2. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

They hide quite well. Try an algae wafer or a piece of a different veggie ( kale, spinach, broccoli green pepper and there are many others ). Cucumbers aren't very nutritious so that may be why their not as interested.

3. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Your pH is fine, ideal even for snails especially. It's not a problem. I have had experience with nerites doing this before though. What parts of the aquarium are not covered?

4. fishrleneValued MemberMember

Great suggestions! I will try these. Thanks!

I JUST found the little bugger! Now I know how it gets out. Got to add a mesh now on the filter. ‍They’re sneaky little ones! I’m really hoping it will actually stay in the water one of these days ... thanks Anders247! exif_temp_image.jpg

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Oh, wow haha. You know that does remind me of when I found my danios that had jumped into the filter.