Help How To Entice My Nerite To Come Out Of Hiding?

fishrlene

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, do you have any suggestions how to entice a Nerite Snail to either come out of hiding or not leave the tank anymore? Every few days it goes missing and I find it outside the glass of my tank. I have covered every nook and cranny (other than the filter) of my tank and I can’t find it AGAIN! Today I tried hanging a piece of cucumber on the side of the glass to see if it will come to it, but no luck.

It’s really quite frustrating. Other than a high pH (8.2) my water parameters are perfect (Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 5).

I’m hoping it is in the tank and just hiding ...

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They hide quite well. Try an algae wafer or a piece of a different veggie ( kale, spinach, broccolI green pepper and there are many others ). Cucumbers aren't very nutritious so that may be why their not as interested.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your pH is fine, ideal even for snails especially. It's not a problem. I have had experience with nerites doing this before though. What parts of the aquarium are not covered?

OP
fishrlene

fishrlene

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kallililly1973 said:
They hide quite well. Try an algae wafer or a piece of a different veggie ( kale, spinach, broccolI green pepper and there are many others ). Cucumbers aren't very nutritious so that may be why their not as interested.
Great suggestions! I will try these. Thanks!

Anders247 said:
Your pH is fine, ideal even for snails especially. It's not a problem. I have had experience with nerites doing this before though. What parts of the aquarium are not covered?
I JUST found the little bugger! Now I know how it gets out. Got to add a mesh now on the filter. ‍They’re sneaky little ones! I’m really hoping it will actually stay in the water one of these days ... thanks Anders247!
exif_temp_image.jpg

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom