How to ease Krib aggression?

jkkgron2
So My two Kribs that are in my 55 gallon who I’m hoping will pair up (male and female) are not getting along, the male is constantly staying in the cave that I put in so they will breed and he’s not letting the female near! I’m worried that the male is claiming territory and/or bullying the female so they mate....my question is how do I ease the aggression? Could the male be staying in the cave so that when the female comes near he can coax her in to breed? Will this go away over time?

MacZ
I've seen your tank in another thread, I'd still say it's too bare and too bright. Give them more stucture, more places to hide they actually see as hiding spots (they don't just hide from us, they should be able to hide from each other.). The aggression should reduce significantly then. If not, you should consider trying another female.

jkkgron2
I've seen your tank in another thread, I'd still say it's too bare and too bright. Give them more stucture, more places to hide they actually see as hiding spots (they don't just hide from us, they should be able to hide from each other.). The aggression should reduce significantly then. If not, you should consider trying another female.
I did add some more stuff, here’s a pic (I will be adding one more rock with java moss soon also, but tell me if I need to add more)

image.jpg
Also I have tried adding the other female but she attacks everyone, is this normal? Can you confirm she’s female (I know the others are female but she’s hard to tell)

95478D91-9A35-41D3-92FB-86C7A3B941CB.jpeg

MacZ
Oh, that looks far better already! Like it! You're definitely getting there.

Maybe a second hub of caves on the opposite side of the tank. Then they should have enough choice of possible territories.

Not sure because of the lighting, the blues of the marbles might have done something with the color correction. But it looks very much like a female.

Fighting is normal. When there's enough caves and hiding places and have acclimated to each other, they will chill down somewhat. As long as they only chase each other around and flash their fins at each other it's all ok. When they actually fight more often in one day, you should consider getting one of the females out again.

jkkgron2
Oh, that looks far better already! Like it! You're definitely getting there.

Maybe a second hub of caves on the opposite side of the tank. Then they should have enough choice of possible territories.

Not sure because of the lighting, the blues of the marbles might have done something with the color correction. But it looks very much like a female.

Fighting is normal. When there's enough caves and hiding places and have acclimated to each other, they will chill down somewhat. As long as they only chase each other around and flash their fins at each other it's all ok. When they actually fight more often in one day, you should consider getting one of the females out again.
So add the female?

MacZ
Try. Either you do or you'd have to rehome her, right?

Take a comfortable observation position for the first hour if you have the spare time. If nothing happened in that time, take a look again in the early evening. If they started fighting too much (you will know what that looks like when you see it), take out one of the females and try again a week later. If that also doesn't work out, rehome one of the ladies.

Edit: Another advice. The spawning cave should only have one entrance opening and be really dark inside.

jkkgron2
Try. Either you do or you'd have to rehome her, right?

Take a comfortable observation position for the first hour if you have the spare time. If nothing happened in that time, take a look again in the early evening. If they started fighting too much (you will know what that looks like when you see it), take out one of the females and try again a week later. If that also doesn't work out, rehome one of the ladies.

Edit: Another advice. The spawning cave should only have one entrance opening and be really dark inside.
I have another tank a female could go in, yep I have time to observe for a bit before bed tonight. I can get another cave tonight and I think I could Get one with one opening to add in with the other
EDIT: the other female was one that I already have In a older tank so I could just put her back in if she doesn’t end up being the female chosen by the male

MacZ
Then good luck. I'll hit the hay and I'm excited to hear how it played out.

Last advice: Video is from a horribly crowded tank and much too small, but this is very much what to expect when it gets serious. should that keep going on for longer than 1-2 hours better terminate the experiment. If this settles rather quickly, you might have a chance it works out. If all are still alive in the morning and none is hurt or huddled in a corner even better.

jkkgron2
I just added another cave, Thanks for the video, I’ll look out for that behavior!

image.jpg

MacZ
You're getting there. Good night and good luck.

jkkgron2
good night!

AGentJ2468
Just looking to learn new things, but I thought cichlids were known to be aggressive or is this over the top in this case?

jkkgron2
Just looking to learn new things, but I thought cichlids were known to be aggressive or is this over the top in this case?
It depends on the species of cichlid ex. Kribensis cichlids are usually more peaceful than other cichlids, rams and Apistogramma cichlids are also more peaceful....Same with angels except they can be a bit more agressive. Now cichlids like oscars and severums can be pretty mean and if I was trying to ease aggression with them I would have been freaking out and separated them immediately because them being over aggressive (or at least more over than normal) is basically constant chasing and trying to...well...almost kill each other.
Kribs being aggressive is more like fin nipping and constant chasing

aussieant32
I bred kribs for years.

You are significantly reducing your chances by adding 1 or 2 females. You would be far better off adding 6 fish and letting them pair as opposed to trying to force 2 to spawn. Removing the others when they pair. This could likely be part of the reason you are seeing some aggression. It can take months for them to pair.

I don't think your choice of caves either is really helping, they like it dark. There are too many entrances and far too much light getting in those 'caves'. It is unlikely the male is seeing that as any sort of spawning option. Having your filter right above the cave could potentially cause too much flow for them to spawn there.

Cheapest way to do it is put half a terracotta plant pot in. Or go to your LFS and buy a cave. Something with 1 entrance and is sealed everywhere else.

Keep your PH at 7.0 or you will likely end up with same sex fry.

What are your plans with the fry? After about 5 weeks they will all need to be rehomed or the parents will try to and likely succeed in killing them.

Also worth noting that the female will chase the male showing off trying to get him to breed, it is not the other way around.

jkkgron2
I bred kribs for years.

You are significantly reducing your chances by adding 1 or 2 females. You would be far better off adding 6 fish and letting them pair as opposed to trying to force 2 to spawn. Removing the others when they pair. This could likely be part of the reason you are seeing some aggression. It can take months for them to pair.

I don't think your choice of caves either is really helping, they like it dark. There are too many entrances and far too much light getting in those 'caves'. It is unlikely the male is seeing that as any sort of spawning option. Having your filter right above the cave could potentially cause too much flow for them to spawn there.

Cheapest way to do it is put half a terracotta plant pot in. Or go to your LFS and buy a cave. Something with 1 entrance and is sealed everywhere else.

Keep your PH at 7.0 or you will likely end up with same sex fry.

What are your plans with the fry? After about 5 weeks they will all need to be rehomed or the parents will try to and likely succeed in killing them.

Also worth noting that the female will chase the male showing off trying to get him to breed, it is not the other way around.
So add maybe 4 more? Female or male?? I have decided I can’t keep the larger female in their as she is determined to hurt the younger female. Not sure If you saw the other cave in the pic but that’s the once I’m using for breeding, the one by the filter is just for decor/hiding if fish ever get stressed when they get added. I’m going to either sell the fry, donate to my AMAZING lfs, or (I know it sounds cruel but that’s worst case scenario) I’m going to use the fry as feeders for my goldfish....the male only chases the female out of the “unsuitable” cave but has stopped now that I added in a one entrance cave.
Thanks for all the great info! I didn’t realize it was the female that chases the male (she has done it a couple times but I figured she was just mad at him for chasing her) and I didn’t know that the Ph made a difference for the gender of the fry!
edit: As I'm still open to having them and just not breeding them, is it possible that I could add two more (maybe one female one male?) and while they pair up I could add some Corys or something else to make the tank a bit more interesting? If not I’m totally fine with getting four more and waiting for them to pair up (can I have two pairs in a 55g?)

aussieant32
you ideally want 1 male and a bunch of females. In Kribs the female is the dominant. Most people fail as they add a bunch of females hoping the male will choose one. This leads to the females fighting to prove they are the most dominate for the male, which you've discovered.

If you don't have the room you can persist with the ones you have, it just may take a while or not happen at all.

My advice would be to have kept the larger female in and removed the smaller one.

jkkgron2
you ideally want 1 male and a bunch of females. In Kribs the female is the dominant. Most people fail as they add a bunch of females hoping the male will choose one. This leads to the females fighting to prove they are the most dominate for the male, which you've discovered.

If you don't have the room you can persist with the ones you have, it just may take a while or not happen at all.
Wait, I’m confused? You said to add a bunch of females but then you said that most people fail when they add a bunch of females so the male will choose one....do they fight to the death or do most people fail because they can’t stop them chasing or nipping at each other?

aussieant32
sorry, was an error. Other way around. 1 female multiple males.

The dominant female will constantly harass the other females. This will generally lead to death through injury or stress.

jkkgron2
sorry, was an error. Other way around. 1 female multiple males.

The dominant female will constantly harass the other females. This will generally lead to death through injury or stress.
Oh, more males then I guess! Since I am on a budget would it make much of a difference if I got three more males instead of four?
Would it be better to have the larger female In the 55 gallon with all the males or will their be no difference?

aussieant32
the more you add the more likely she is to choose one but it won't make a massive difference.

If you are on a good term with your LFS offer to return the males she doesn't pick in exchange for fry. They are monogamous so once they are paired they are paired.

jkkgron2
the more you add the more likely she is to choose one but it won't make a massive difference.

If you are on a good term with your LFS offer to return the males she doesn't pick in exchange for fry. They are monogamous so once they are paired they are paired.
K, I’m really grateful for all the help u gave me, thanks!

jkkgron2
Can I add some Corys with all the Kribs and Should I add some dither fish like tetras?

aussieant32
you're welcome.

aussieant32
I wouldn't. You could if you weren't trying to breed them but they are extremely aggressive when they are spawning.

As soon as they are spawned you really need to have everything out of the tank

jkkgron2
I wouldn't. You could if you weren't trying to breed them but they are extremely aggressive when they are spawning.

As soon as they are spawned you really need to have everything out of the tank
Ahhh this is a problem, maybe I will get two more males hope for the best and just add in some hardy fish like platys or a single angel and some of the larger Cory varieties that might be able to stand up to the Kribs if they stay on the other side of the tank by the filter where the fry won’t go (I’m slowly building up the decor for the tank so it will have much more by the time the Kribs breed)
Also I'm not planning on large scale breeding them, I honestly just love Kribs and want to have a pair of them

jkkgron2
wait, if I just kept these two since the chances of them pairing are lower then could I just do a community tank with tough, hardy fish?

aussieant32
Yes you can. Providing you have enough space for other fish to escape. Don't get anything slow moving etc. Cherry barbs would be a good option. Or similar. They will be less likely to breed if you provide less than ideal breeding conditions.

jkkgron2
Yes you can. Providing you have enough space for other fish to escape. Don't get anything slow moving etc. Cherry barbs would be a good option. Or similar. They will be less likely to breed if you provide less than ideal breeding conditions.
Hmmm this is what I’m thinking 8 cherry barbs 5 platys and 8 Corys along with the two Kribs, does this stocking sound good?

aussieant32
Cherries do like a good sized school. I'd be more tempted to up their numbers and reduce the platties but that's just me. 8 should still be enough for them to feel safe.

Corys should be fine.

jkkgron2
Just searched up cherry barbs, I guess I’m just not interested in them. Are their any other small tetras or danios or barbs that could work?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
yukondog
Replies
Views