How To Do Cycle Tank With Fish Food

  • Thread starter

kashbill

New Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
2
Points
1
I hope i got a right place to ask.My tank spec, 10gallon ,3inch ADA soil, 4stem java fern, 3stem unknown mid plant, java moss, chrismass moss. 1 junior betta, 3junior albino cory. Im still doing cycle with corycat food daily 2 pellets, all the fish on the other temporary tank which i often change the water . I want to put them in my still in cycle tank.Yesterday i got 1ppm ammonia, 4ppm nitrite, 10ppm nitrate. i use stability on first put,then i stop because this forum not recommend stability. Got change 30% water because the ph drop yesterday.Yesterday first time i saw nitrate at 10ppm. Its almost one week since i start on 15/4/18. Are im still on the track? Do i still need daily feed food until the ammonia and nitrite 0? Do i still need to do water change every week or only if the ph low?.Hope someone will help, before i uninstall this apps since almost one week without any comment.tq
 

Milliemae124

Valued Member
Messages
230
Reaction score
60
Points
38
So are you doing a fish less or fish in cycle?
 
  • Thread starter

kashbill

New Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
2
Points
1
Milliemae124 said:
So are you doing a fish less or fish in cycle?
fishless
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Messages
18,921
Reaction score
12,971
Points
798
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes wait till ammonia and nitrites are down to zero. Unlogical to me that nitrates are appearing in one week.

Don't get the Ph swing btw
 
  • Thread starter

kashbill

New Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
2
Points
1
DoubleDutch said:
Yes wait till ammonia and nitrites are down to zero. Unlogical to me that nitrates are appearing in one week.

Don't get the Ph swing btw
yup i put stability on the first day only, since then i have 0.3nitrate daily,not until yesterday
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Messages
18,921
Reaction score
12,971
Points
798
Experience
More than 10 years
In my opinion Stability contains heterotrophic bacteria that could munch on ammonia and nitrites and maybe produce nitrates. They are not the exact bacteria involved in the real cycle, but only buying the real ones to show up.

I'd say the nitrates at this point are a "false" sign the tank is getting cycled. It will get cycled, but the real one takes sone extra time. The nitritemunchers (process to nitrates) are the ones to show op last (that's why one can expect an nitritespike).

As said wait till ammonia and nitrites are down to zero. In this way it would take about 3 weeks to do so.
 
  • Thread starter

kashbill

New Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
2
Points
1
DoubleDutch said:
In my opinion Stability contains heterotrophic bacteria that could munch on ammonia and nitrites and maybe produce nitrates. They are not the exact bacteria involved in the real cycle, but only buying the real ones to show up.

I'd say the nitrates at this point are a "false" sign the tank is getting cycled. It will get cycled, but the real one takes sone extra time. The nitritemunchers (process to nitrates) are the ones to show op last (that's why one can expect an nitritespike).

As said wait till ammonia and nitrites are down to zero. In this way it would take about 3 weeks to do so.
i see. its mean i just wait it zero and weekly partial water change? should i feed fish food daily even the ppm 3 for ammonia? or only lowers than 3?
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Messages
18,921
Reaction score
12,971
Points
798
Experience
More than 10 years
kashbill said:
i see. its mean i just wait it zero and weekly partial water change? should i feed fish food daily even the ppm 3? or only lowers than 3?
I am not that with figures but I'd say as long as there is an ammoniasource keeping the level up, it is okay.
I don't exactly know what the waterchanges are meand for at this moment. There is no real need to as it is a fishless cycle (applause for that) and there is no need to keep poisoness levels down. But maybe I am overseeing things ?
 
  • Thread starter

kashbill

New Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
2
Points
1
DoubleDutch said:
I am not that with figures but I'd say as long as there is an ammoniasource keeping the level up, it is okay.
I don't exactly know what the waterchanges are meand for at this moment. There is no real need to as it is a fishless cycle (applause for that) and there is no need to keep poisoness levels down. But maybe I am overseeing things ?
what if the ph low, what should i do?
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Messages
18,921
Reaction score
12,971
Points
798
Experience
More than 10 years
kashbill said:
what if the ph low, what should i do?
Yeah that part puzzles me and indeed could be a reason to waterchange.
Is your Kh low / zero ?
 
  • Thread starter

kashbill

New Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
2
Points
1
DoubleDutch said:
Yeah that part puzzles me and indeed could be a reason to waterchange.
Is your Kh low / zero ?
i dont have a tools to check that one, my local pet store doesn't have such thing
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Messages
18,921
Reaction score
12,971
Points
798
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay. Getting.in an area I am nit conpletely familiar with here. Don't ynderstand why the Ph drops. Common sense tells me to do the waterchanges for that and add fishfood to keep the ammonialevel till you notice that drops to zero fast.

But maybe other members can chime in now and correct me
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom