How To Do Cycle Tank With Fish Food

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by kashbill, Apr 20, 2018.

1. kashbillNew MemberMember

I hope i got a right place to ask.My tank spec, 10gallon ,3inch ADA soil, 4stem java fern, 3stem unknown mid plant, java moss, chrismass moss. 1 junior betta, 3junior albino cory. Im still doing cycle with corycat food daily 2 pellets, all the fish on the other temporary tank which i often change the water . I want to put them in my still in cycle tank.Yesterday i got 1ppm ammonia, 4ppm nitrite, 10ppm nitrate. i use stability on first put,then i stop because this forum not recommend stability. Got change 30% water because the ph drop yesterday.Yesterday first time i saw nitrate at 10ppm. Its almost one week since i start on 15/4/18. Are im still on the track? Do i still need daily feed food until the ammonia and nitrite 0? Do i still need to do water change every week or only if the ph low?.Hope someone will help, before i uninstall this apps since almost one week without any comment.tq

2. Milliemae124Valued MemberMember

So are you doing a fish less or fish in cycle?

3. kashbillNew MemberMember

fishless

4. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Yes wait till ammonia and nitrites are down to zero. Unlogical to me that nitrates are appearing in one week.

Don't get the Ph swing btw

5. kashbillNew MemberMember

yup i put stability on the first day only, since then i have 0.3nitrate daily,not until yesterday

6. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

In my opinion Stability contains heterotrophic bacteria that could munch on ammonia and nitrites and maybe produce nitrates. They are not the exact bacteria involved in the real cycle, but only buying the real ones to show up.

I'd say the nitrates at this point are a "false" sign the tank is getting cycled. It will get cycled, but the real one takes sone extra time. The nitritemunchers (process to nitrates) are the ones to show op last (that's why one can expect an nitritespike).

As said wait till ammonia and nitrites are down to zero. In this way it would take about 3 weeks to do so.

7. kashbillNew MemberMember

i see. its mean i just wait it zero and weekly partial water change? should i feed fish food daily even the ppm 3 for ammonia? or only lowers than 3?

8. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I am not that with figures but I'd say as long as there is an ammoniasource keeping the level up, it is okay.
    I don't exactly know what the waterchanges are meand for at this moment. There is no real need to as it is a fishless cycle (applause for that) and there is no need to keep poisoness levels down. But maybe I am overseeing things ?

9. kashbillNew MemberMember

what if the ph low, what should i do?

10. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Yeah that part puzzles me and indeed could be a reason to waterchange.
    Is your Kh low / zero ?

11. kashbillNew MemberMember

i dont have a tools to check that one, my local pet store doesn't have such thing

12. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Okay. Getting.in an area I am nit conpletely familiar with here. Don't ynderstand why the Ph drops. Common sense tells me to do the waterchanges for that and add fishfood to keep the ammonialevel till you notice that drops to zero fast.

But maybe other members can chime in now and correct me

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice