How To Do 1,2 And 3 Gallons Tank Cycle?

DixieGyspy

New Member
Member
Messages
32
Reaction score
9
Location
Kansas City, Mo
Experience
Just started
I am setting up my small tanks for shrimp, snails and guppy fry(species only). My question is how do I do a correct and safe cycle for this small of tanks? I am wanting to move everything soon bc I had a filter go out on my bigger tank and currently overcrowded in the guppy tank which has two pregnant females. I want to separate both of these and try to keep as many babies as I can but also scared I will kill my pregnant guppies if the tanks aren't properly cycled. I am trying to get my 5 gallon back up and running for the female Guppies after they give birth. Thanks!
 

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,621
Reaction score
1,909
Location
Boston, MA
Experience
5 to 10 years
How are you filtering the tanks? You are putting the guppy fry in those containers? If so you don't really have to cycle the tank. The only quick and efficient way is doing multiple water changes and sucking up any left over food and waste

At most you should have 3 fry per gallon
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
DixieGyspy

DixieGyspy

New Member
Member
Messages
32
Reaction score
9
Location
Kansas City, Mo
Experience
Just started
Yikes. OK. I was going to try to have the 3 gallon as the "nursery tanks" but that will still be too small. I am going to do sponge filters for each of them.
 

FishL:))

Well Known
Member
Messages
807
Reaction score
304
Experience
2 years
DixieGyspy said:
Yikes. OK. I was going to try to have the 3 gallon as the "nursery tanks" but that will still be too small. I am going to do sponge filters for each of them.
Spounge Filters are great for guppy fry. Good luck!!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
DixieGyspy

DixieGyspy

New Member
Member
Messages
32
Reaction score
9
Location
Kansas City, Mo
Experience
Just started
How big of a tank do you think I need for each batch of guppy fry? I had a beautiful male that just died last week and really hoping one of these will have some of his babies.
 

AWheeler

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,326
Reaction score
1,068
Location
Pennsylvania
Experience
4 years
I would go with 10 gal min. for batches of guppy fry. As the guppy gets older, they drop a larger number of fry, and can do this once a month.
 

FishL:))

Well Known
Member
Messages
807
Reaction score
304
Experience
2 years
DixieGyspy said:
How big of a tank do you think I need for each batch of guppy fry? I had a beautiful male that just died last week and really hoping one of these will have some of his babies.
I so sorry about your loss! I really depends on how many fry they have to determine what size tank. Do you have an average number of babies they usually have each time?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
DixieGyspy

DixieGyspy

New Member
Member
Messages
32
Reaction score
9
Location
Kansas City, Mo
Experience
Just started
I was so sad when I seen him but noticed both females looked pregnant shortly after so I was hopeful pretty quickly after I found him. I have only had one batch before of probably 15 and no clue which female had them. I am still pretty new with aquariums but I removed the other guppies when I seen them and not sure how long they were in there with them. I want to save at least 5-10 from each female if possible though. And how many shrimp can fit into 1 or 2 gallons? Not sure if 1 or 2 gallon tanks are big enough for anything at all. I have red cherry shrimp. I am going to be moving in the next 1-3 months so these tanks will be temporary homes. I will have all guppies in a 10 gallon once we move but right now I just have one batch of fry in a 3 gallon and two adult females and 1 male and will keep them all separated until we move.
 

FishL:))

Well Known
Member
Messages
807
Reaction score
304
Experience
2 years
DixieGyspy said:
I was so sad when I seen him but noticed both females looked pregnant shortly after so I was hopeful pretty quickly after I found him. I have only had one batch before of probably 15 and no clue which female had them. I am still pretty new with aquariums but I removed the other guppies when I seen them and not sure how long they were in there with them. I want to save at least 5-10 from each female if possible though. And how many shrimp can fit into 1 or 2 gallons? Not sure if 1 or 2 gallon tanks are big enough for anything at all. I have red cherry shrimp. I am going to be moving in the next 1-3 months so these tanks will be temporary homes. I will have all guppies in a 10 gallon once we move but right now I just have one batch of fry in a 3 gallon and two adult females and 1 male and will keep them all separated until we move.
How many guppies and shrimp do you have? And how many guppy fry?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
DixieGyspy

DixieGyspy

New Member
Member
Messages
32
Reaction score
9
Location
Kansas City, Mo
Experience
Just started
I have 15 guppy fry probably and two pregnant adults and 1 adult male. Shrimp I have seen probably close to 20!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
DixieGyspy

DixieGyspy

New Member
Member
Messages
32
Reaction score
9
Location
Kansas City, Mo
Experience
Just started
I have lots of tanks but they are mostly 5 gallon and under!! Probably at least 10 small "betta" tanks. Anywhere from .5 gallons to 3 gallons. My big tanks (over 10 gallons) are in storage and I have no where to set them up yet. My one ten gallon has 3 glofish tetras and 1 black and white skirt tetra so 5 tetras in all with a bristlenose pleco that I will probably sell or give away soon but don't think I can move my tetras to anything smaller then my 10 gallon and I have one 5 gallon sat up but filter went out. That was where my guppies were. Then my 20 shrimp are in a 2 & 3 gallon now probably ten or so in each. Not sure how to arrange everything correctly or where I should downsize on my fish!
 

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,621
Reaction score
1,909
Location
Boston, MA
Experience
5 to 10 years
As a guppy breeder I the max fry I had in a 10 gallon was 20.

As far as cycling just plop the sponge filter in and just do frequent water change for 2 weeks or so. You might want to add some BB supplement to start up the sponge.

As far as your 10 gallon, all of those fish should be in a 20 gallon minimum so definitely don't want those fish in anything smaller!
 

FishL:))

Well Known
Member
Messages
807
Reaction score
304
Experience
2 years
DixieGyspy said:
I have lots of tanks but they are mostly 5 gallon and under!! Probably at least 10 small "betta" tanks. Anywhere from .5 gallons to 3 gallons. My big tanks (over 10 gallons) are in storage and I have no where to set them up yet. My one ten gallon has 3 glofish tetras and 1 black and white skirt tetra so 5 tetras in all with a bristlenose pleco that I will probably sell or give away soon but don't think I can move my tetras to anything smaller then my 10 gallon and I have one 5 gallon sat up but filter went out. That was where my guppies were. Then my 20 shrimp are in a 2 & 3 gallon now probably ten or so in each. Not sure how to arrange everything correctly or where I should downsize on my fish!
I think they'll be fine for awhile while waiting for you to move and then I would upgrade them when you are in your new house.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
DixieGyspy

DixieGyspy

New Member
Member
Messages
32
Reaction score
9
Location
Kansas City, Mo
Experience
Just started
OK thanks so much! Think I have to give it a shot at least

Sent from my N9518 using
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
97
Guests online
2,347
Total visitors
2,444

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom