How to dispose of duckweed responsibly? - Page 2

Crimson_687

They're great as a nitrate sponge, but I've about had it with duckweed. They're successfully outcompeting my red root floaters and amazon frogbit, which I need for root growth. My frogbit has lost the long, flowy roots they used to have, plus it's hard to see the fish when the light is mostly blocked. I know it's impossible to completely get rid of, and as much as I hate it, it's nice to have around. However, I need a way to cut this thing back. It's grown so much it's actually acquired a thickness to it, like a layer.

Duckweed is an invasive species, so I cannot simply throw it down the drain or in the trash. I want to dispose of this plant responsibly, or better, find a productive use for it. Maybe find someone who would like a large quantity of duckweed for their tank, pond, or to cultivate as food for their pet ducks. I also understand this plant is edible and highly nutritious. Has anyone prepared this plant for consumption? What's the best way to do it? I use water conditioners and fertilizers (seachem flourish and API root tabs) in the tank, are they still safe to eat?

Crimson_687

While duck weed kills frogbit, nattans kills duckweed. I used to bring a gallon bag of frog bit to the LFS every week or two, now there is no frogbit in my house. All of it was killed by the duckweed.
However in a fight between the duckweed and nattans there is no duckweed in those tanks.
I see, so Nattans is alleleopathic to duckweed.

This is how much duckweed I scooped out. Crazy all of this came from 5 little pieces of the plant that were originally in the tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0

CHJ

I see, so Nattans is alleleopathic to duckweed.

This is how much duckweed I scooped out. Crazy all of this came from 5 little pieces of the plant that were originally in the tank.
Nattans eventually plugs up the whole top of your tank and dumps mulm, stops flow that brings O2 into the water, blocks ~100% of light to planted plants, and other issues.
IIRC it is banned in FL because a handful will cover a 4 acre lake in a few months.
It does look super cool when fully grown and the tank surface feels neat when you pat it.

Upvote 0

GlennO

Would it be possible to make it into a fish food?

Yes I use it in my homemade frozen fish and shrimp food which contains salmon, prawns, carrot, spinach, peas, duckweed and a bit of garlic. Finely blended and some gelatin added.

I also feed duckweed to my Rainbowfish. I grow it in my shrimp tank and each week I scoop some out and throw it in my Rainbowfish tank. It's gone within a couple of days.

Upvote 0

Lswims11

Can't really have a dwarf gourami with a betta fish. My fish do nibble on the duckweed, but no single fish would be enough to actively control this thing. Goldfish might have worked, but I cannot have them in a tropical tank, nor is 36 gal big enough for them
You could put the betta with the gourami if it is a female

Upvote 0

Crimson_687

Nattans eventually plugs up the whole top of your tank and dumps mulm, stops flow that brings O2 into the water, blocks ~100% of light to planted plants, and other issues.
IIRC it is banned in FL because a handful will cover a 4 acre lake in a few months.
It does look super cool when fully grown and the tank surface feels neat when you pat it.
Yes I’ve heard it can just as pesky as duckweed.

Now that I’ve removed all but the few spare leaflets (is that what they’re called?) that escaped my net, I think simply cleaning some of it out with every wc or every other wc should be enough control.

Upvote 0

Jilly92

Not just snow, solid ice as well. Every year, it freezes completely solid in around 4-18 inches of ice, for 5-6 months, AND SURVIVES. I once collected a chunk of ice with duckweed frozen inside, thawed it out, and stuck it in a jar. It started growing as duckweed usually does, and filled the whole jar! That stuff is unkillable.
Yes I dried it out for MONTHS and it kept its color and came back!

Upvote 0

MySquishy

Let it dry out then throw it away. And if you want to go extreme then crumble it up when it dries

Or dry it and burn it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LoachWhisperer
Replies
Views
ayeayeron
Replies
Views
Aquaphobia