Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

How To Dispose Of Bladder Snails?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Komarr, Jan 22, 2019.

1. KomarrNew MemberMember

I have bladder snails in my tank from a plant purchase I didn't clean properly. Lesson learned there. I bought a couple of Assassin snails to get them under control and they are helping. My question is this: I periodically manually remove snails when the are high up on the glass or will put a piece of zucchini down as "bait". How can I dispose of them relatively humanely? I can't bring myself to squish them and I assume trying to flush them is a bad idea. Right now I just throw them outside. I live in the North East so they just freeze pretty quickly, but want a better solution for when warmer weather hits.
    Thanks

2. WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Well, I don’t think freezing them is relatively humane, lol, but it works-squishing is much faster. I just let the assassins do it, they will catch up eventually.

3. BettaFishKeeper4302Well Known MemberMember

Assasin snails.

4. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Honestly...as harsh as it sounds, I think squishing is the most humane way to do it. Because I assume it is a nice quick death. Freezing to death outside would probably be more miserable. And flushing is a big no no for sure. Personally, if I remove any, they just go in the garbage. But for the most part, my assassins take care of it.

Even when warmer water hits, do not EVER put the snails in a local body of water. That will cause them to overrun the local lakes or rivers or ponds. There is no way to keep them alive unless you want to set up a small tank just for the snails. But they would overrun that too. I wouldn't put them outside at all in the warmer weather to be honest! They could survive and find their way into the local bodies of water and cause infestations that can harm the local wildlife.

5. Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

I got some of my fish (platys and corydoras) to eat squished snails. It took a few days for them to recognize it as food. I also keep some in my 10 gallon to breed for my pea puffer

6. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Some may think my way was cruel but back when I was pulling so many out of my tank daily I killed them with salt before I threw them outside to dispose of them. The salt instantly killed them much like it does a slug. I can't say it was painless for them but it worked for me.

Now I have a 2.5 gallon jar specifically for the ones that were left after I got assassin snails to take care of the problem in my main tank. I now let them breed in the jar so the assassins get some of their favorite food from time to time. The main tank is pest snail free now.

7. AlgonquinWell Known MemberMember

I recently read here on Fishlore that snails don't feel pain (unlike fish). The recommended way to euthanize snails was to put them in a container of water, and put that in the freezer. I think this was more in regards to mystery snails etc, but would the same info not apply to pest snails? Seems a lot less icky than crushing them (if they're not being used for food) :)
    Maybe someone here can confirm this info is correct?

8. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Dry them out - they don't stink, they aren't able to escape, and you can make sure they are dead/desiccated before tossing them in the trash.

9. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Snails do not have a complex central nervous system. They do not feel pain the way you and I do. Just crush them.

10. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

I agree that crushing is the most humane of the assorted medieval methods discussed in this thread, many of which probably fit the definition of torture. But having said that...how could anyone possibly know that this statement ^ is true? Recognizing that their nervous system is one thing, but "knowing" what or how they feel is another. This sounds like a pronouncement made by somebody who cannot and does not know, who then passes it on in writing...which of course means it must be true...and it gets repeated over and over until it winds up in a thread like this one.

Snails react to negative stimuli, quickly and obviously. It is a survival trait which increases their chances of living long enough to pass on their genes. The snails who blithely crawl into fire, or who don't retract into their shells when something grabs them by a tentacle, won't be around to reproduce. The ones who do react will reproduce.

When a higher animal reacts to stimuli like heat or physical trauma or whatever, it is because the stimulus is unattractive to the animal, a negative experience we call pain. But when a snail does the same it's convenient and comforting to tell ourselves it's just too "low" a critter to experience pain. Let's not kid ourselves; calling it something else doesn't alter the fact that it is, by definition, pain.

11. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Science. Thats how. The central nervous system in snails is so simple they do not have the ability to process or experience pain and suffering (or at least the way we think of it). If you have an issue with it, take it up with the scientists who study these animals for a living.

12. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I have several zebra loaches in the 37 gallon guppy aquarium. I drop them in there.

13. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

I still crush them :).

14. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

Wow...did I hit a nerve? And was that pain?

I have no "issue" with it, and I specifically stated that it was often-repeated; didn't mean or imply that you were responsible for that statement. The phrase "or at least the way we think of it" is interesting. It's typical double-talk so often employed today, a fall-back position if a stated belief is challenged. When a scientist says "This is what we believe today..." it's probably worth a listen; when they say "This is the way it is..." I have to question that.

Pain has been defined as "unpleasant sensory experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage, or described in terms of such damage". So, feel free to torture a snail, observe the response, and draw your own conclusions.

15. MusingValued MemberMember

Find a guy who has a puffer or turtles? They'll love you forever if you start passing on your extra 'food' items along. ;)