How To Disinfect Wild Caught Fish Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by CaptainAquatics, Aug 19, 2019.

1. CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +744
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hi! I just caught I longnose face out in the wild and I would like to keep him. I would like to put him in one of my tanks however I would like to rid him of parasites first. He does not appear to have any however I don’t want to risk it. Any ideas on what I could do. Also I would like to put him with my axolotls as they are cold water, would I even have to worry about parasites? Like could the axolotls catch something from him? Thanks :)

2. DIYbetta

DIYbettaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    I would not recommend keeping a wild pet. One of the reasons are parasites. The other is often they will refuse to eat. And lastly are state/ country laws, please check the laws in your area before keeping him. I would maybe try some meth blue and a little bit of salt.

3. OP
    OP
    CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +744
    Experience:
    3 years
    Ok thanks :) I will be sure to check, however I will likely release him

4. oldsalt777

oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +657
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello Cap...

Keeping fish caught locally isn't a good idea. The main reason is you can't duplicate the environment the fish came from. The fish won't survive long. I tried this many years ago with a Sunfish and it lived for a few weeks and died. The reason was simple: I changed the fish's environment. If you're still interested in give this a shot. You don't need to do anything to the newcomer. If it appears healthy, then put into the tank. As long as the other fish in there aren't small enough to eat, you're good. If you're keeping a very clean tank, then you'll have healthy fish. The chances of a healthy fish in pure water conditions being infected by something is unlikely.

Old

5. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,072
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Wild caught fish from local waters are fun to keep, but I never believed in mixing them in a tropical tank. I think you and the fish would be better served by releasing the fish. A few states would require you to have a fishing license just to keep native fishes. Wild fish usually are full of parasites, but they don't show the effects until they are stressed. If you decided to keep it, you would have to give it a prophylactic treatment in quarantine with anti-parasitic medications. Even wild caught tropicals usually get such a treatment.

I have kept some Darters, Sunfish, and other species that I collected. Matching the environment isn't always that critical. I've kept some Sunfish for years after catching them. They're one of the easiest natives to keep in aquaria due to their adaptability. Dace, however, are a little bit picky about their habitat.

6. GlennO

GlennOValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +217
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    When I was a kid I used to catch all sorts of fish and critters in the river near our house and put them in my tank. I had no problem with diseases or getting them to eat fish food. But often they would turn out to be incompatible with the rest of my fish due to size or temperament and I’d have to put them back in the river.