How to disinfect large chunks of driftwood

birdyboots

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey guys, i've just recently nuked a tank after a reoccurring outbreak and wanted to know the best method of disinfecting driftwood? i've boiled my other pieces but this log is too big to fit in a pot. would it be enough to put it in a tray and soak it in boiled water or does it really need a good boiling on a stove top to get rid of this disease?

Masoud

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
well personally,I would put it in large tub and pour boiling water on it,I would do it 3 4 times just to be sure

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
birdyboots said:
Hey guys, i've just recently nuked a tank after a reoccurring outbreak and wanted to know the best method of disinfecting driftwood? i've boiled my other pieces but this log is too big to fit in a pot. would it be enough to put it in a tray and soak it in boiled water or does it really need a good boiling on a stove top to get rid of this disease?
Pour boiling water on it and then 'bake' it in the sun a few hours, turn it over once. Or just let it dry completely out in the sun. UV will kill most pathogens on the surface. You had an outbreak of what? Parasites (and most bacteria) will die by drying it out. The only pathogen I'd 'disinfect' for is mycobacterium, almost anything else is opportunistic and won't infect healthy fish. I keep my unused aquarium wood in a old planter outside. When I'm ready to use it, I rinse and brush it off, and throw it in the tank.

New Threads