How To Disinfect Aquarium Equipment? (for Example, Siphon) How Do I 

BubbyDinosaur

Reaction score
Hello Fishlore members!

I was hoping someone had an answer for my question - How do you disinfect aquarium equipment?

The reason I ask is because I have 2 tanks at the moment. In one of my tanks, I have a sick betta. In my other tank I have a healthy ram. I normally use the same siphon to clean both tanks, but because of my betta's current condition, I'm worried that if I try to clean their tanks with the same siphon, it will introduce potential illnesses to my healthy ram.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could disinfect the equipment? Or do you think buying a new siphon for one of my tanks should be my only option?

I have read in different blogs that people have:
  • Soaked their equipment in very hot water...
  • Some people put a tiny bit of bleach in hot water, and described "cleaning it very thoroughly after." Once they finished cleaning the equipment they would leave it outside to dry in the sun. I'm still fairly new at caring for fish, BUT using bleach does not sound okay...and I don't think I would ever try this method...
Anyway, hopefully someone has an answer for me...but to be honest...after writing this...it just makes most sense to me to just buy a new one now lol...Maybe I just needed to think out loud??? I don't know. Anyway, again, thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Sincerely.
BubbyDinosaur

Asomeone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Bleach is fine you just have to properly mix it. an eight to one mix let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Rinse well. If you dont smell bleach on it then youre likely good. If you smell it rinse and repeat. Other option is to use a 1:1 vinegar solution. Same deal, rinse well. Vinegar is less harmful to the aquarium but be mindful you must rinse or its possible it'll lower PH or damage the fish/bio colonies.
Very hot water, ie, nearly burning your skin will kill a majority of bacteria. This is why a lot of bacteria prevention guides suggest using the hottest water possible to wash dishes.
Edit: I have this concern when I use the same equipment from my salt and freshwater tanks. Thorough rinsing and then a flush with RO water does the trick for me but with diseases, I'd definitely use a disinfectant i mentioned or one someone else uses.
Simplest method is to get another siphon.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bleach is very safe when used right. bleach leaves no residue, no chemical, nothing behind. You use a one part bleach to 10 parts water solution, you don't soak anything more than 15 minutes, you rinse well with hot water, you let it dry completely to remove chlorine. Or rinse in water that has been treated with de-chlorinator. You can go to the bleach websight for more information.
Other disinfectants safe for aquariums - white viniger, lemon juice, non-iodized salt - they are messier and harder to remove then bleach. None will evaporate away leaving no trace like bleach will.

Sorry if I sound like a bleach salesman.

I dont think I would want to be bothered to sanatize the syphon every week , and it wouldnt hurt to have a backup. So if it is not some expensive python vacuum that you need, posssibly get another, and dont mix then up!

BubbyDinosaur

Reaction score
Thank you for your informative post. VERY helpful. Honestly though, I think I would be too nervous to attempt the mix lol But I truly appreciate the information. Maybe I will have to go out and buy a siphon this weekend. Thanks again Asomeone!

BubbyDinosaur

Reaction score
Noroomforshoe said:
bleach is very safe when used right. bleach leaves no residue, no chemical, nothing behind. You use a one part bleach to 10 parts water solution, you don't soak anything more than 15 minutes, you rinse well with hot water, you let it dry completely to remove chlorine. Or rinse in water that has been treated with de-chlorinator. You can go to the bleach websight for more information.
Other disinfectants safe for aquariums - white viniger, lemon juice, non-iodized salt - they are messier and harder to remove then bleach. None will evaporate away leaving no trace like bleach will.

I dont think I would want to be bothered to sanatize the syphon every week , and it wouldnt hurt to have a backup. So if it is not some expensive python vacuum that you need, posssibly get another, and dont mix then up!
HAHAHA!!! Bleach salesman!!! That's okay, I honestly just never knew. Thank you for the information. But like I told Asomeone, I'll probably just go out to buy a syphon this weekend. lol Thank you Noroomforshoe!

Asomeone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Noroomforshoe said:

I don't think I would want to be bothered to sanitize the syphon every week , and it wouldnt hurt to have a backup. So if it is not some expensive python vacuum that you need, possibly get another, and dont mix then up!
Just to argue a tiny bit...Im sorry Noroomforshoe Bleach in my experience can leave a residue. Maybe it was just that I used to strong a mixture...but I've definitely done things like cleaned out a previously used aquarium with bleach and smelled it after a couple of days. Prompting me to rewash the aquarium in question.
And just to clarify that further if you soak something absorbant (I know this wasn't mentioned but you said anything) like driftwood in bleach you absolutely have to let it dry and rinse multiple times.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a syphon for every tank, they aren't that expensive on Amazon. I bleach them once a month as they can go mildewy if they sit with water in them unused. That never happens around here though! :) Different dimensions for different tanks.. the betta is a small tube or you could use a piece of small diameter rigid tubing on airline tubing to vac with for quick clean ups.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can neutralize bleach residue by using a strong dose of dechlorinator such as Seachem Safe or Seachem Prime.

When I used to regenerate Seachem Purigen, it had to soak in a strong bleach solution, rinsed thoroughly and dechlorinate with Prime.ive never had an an issue.

I've used mild bleach solutions on nets, siphons, decor and buckets. Thorough rinse + soaking in Seachem Prime solution works every time.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hydrogen peroxide. Rinses easily and is even safe to be in tanks at small amounts. It has a 30 second wet contact time to kill most things (3% solution)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom