How to disinfect anacharis that has been in a pond?

  • Thread starter

fbn

Well Known Member
Messages
1,215
Reaction score
12
Points
133
Experience
More than 10 years
I was at a lady's house and her pond was overrun with anacharis. It was in her pond that has fish and frogs. How can I safely disinfect it for my aquarium?? Thanks!
 

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Messages
1,633
Reaction score
32
Points
143
Experience
Just started
You can either use a 1 part bleach to 19 parts water solution for 2 minutes, but that risks killing the plant. You can use potassium permanganate and soak for 15-20 minutes. You can also use alum, but I'm not sure the procedure on that. I use the PP, and left plants in it for almost an hour with no ill affects to the plants.

-Lisa
 

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Messages
944
Reaction score
9
Points
113
Experience
5 years
Kunsthure already mentioned my way:

I use 1 cup bleach for 2 gal water, soak the plant for 5 min. Then I soak the plant in water with a lot of dechlorinator (I do this two times each for 20 min). Then I consider it safe. This will also kill snails.

I have never had this kill any plant, but I don't know how hardy anacharis is.
 

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,458
Reaction score
150
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
I just use the bleach method myself. Make sure the bleach doesn't contain any detergents & you don't leave the plants in for more than 5mins, (2-3mins is enough). Rinse the plants thoroughly under a tap & then put all the plants into a bucket of water & add a double dose of dechlorinator. You can put them in their new location stright after doing that.
 

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Messages
13,062
Reaction score
254
Points
383
Experience
3 years
Bleach is good for the anacharis. Some of the more touchy plants would need the potassium permanganate, but anacharis is really hardy.
 
  • Thread starter

fbn

Well Known Member
Messages
1,215
Reaction score
12
Points
133
Experience
More than 10 years
So, if I use bleach I have to use a dechlorinators?
 

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Messages
13,062
Reaction score
254
Points
383
Experience
3 years
Yes. You need to neutralize the chlorine in the bleach, both so it doesn't burn the anacharis (bleach isn't good for any living being, it's just that it's worse for simple, single-celled organisms than it is for complex organisms that have skins, like us, or plants), and so it doesn't damage your livestock when the anacharis is introduced to the tank.
 

BunnyPuncher

Valued Member
Messages
179
Reaction score
3
Points
113
Experience
3 years
I use potassium permanganate (pp). Well actually I use the widely available "Jungle Clear" (active ingredient is pp) simply because I did not want to bother with seeking out a supplier of the pure stuff.

So far no snails / bugs / etc. from plants in the tanks I don't want MTS in.

It does however kill hornwort dead dead dead. So far all other plants have survived.
 
  • Thread starter

fbn

Well Known Member
Messages
1,215
Reaction score
12
Points
133
Experience
More than 10 years
I did kunsthure's method with bleach...but I misread the directions and did it for 20 MINUTES! The plant turned yellow all except the stems and the part that has the new leaves. Believe it or not the plants are still alive! They are growing new leaves! I have a question, I saw in the bucket a type of larvae while I was disinfecting the anacharis, but it never died. Is the plant disinfected??
 

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,458
Reaction score
150
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
fbn said:
I did kunsthure's method with bleach...but I misread the directions and did it for 20 MINUTES!

Oops!! Not surprising the plant is recovering though. Anacharis is very difficult to kill.

As for the larvae I think you would find the plant is disinfected. IME the bleach doesn't kill straight away & things often stay alive for a while after exposure.
 

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Messages
13,062
Reaction score
254
Points
383
Experience
3 years
If nothing else, any critters that didn't die would likely let go and try to swim to new, untainted water.
Also, bigger creatures are more resistant to chlorine poisoning (think about it, the chlorine levels that keep bacteria from growing in our water take hours or even days to kill fish, and we don't even notice it, even after a prolonged bath), so while there may have been a couple of larvae that didn't die, chances are that the really dangerous stuff, the bacteria/viruses that may have been on the anacharis, died pretty quickly in that level of chlorine. The fish will take care of the larvae.
 
  • Thread starter

fbn

Well Known Member
Messages
1,215
Reaction score
12
Points
133
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the info sirdarksol and nutter!
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom