How to determine if your tank is overstocked?

Ambie

I have a heavily planted 20 long that's been running for about 8-9 months now and i need a little help in figuring out if i need to move some of the fish to a new 20 tall i just finished setting up.
My water parameters have been stable with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10-20 nitrates [before WC] with a 25% - 30% water change every week and once a week easy green fertilizers after a water change.

Tank Info:
Filters: 2 AC 50's (2 Sponges with Biomax, No Carbon)
Stock: 6 Harlequin Rasboras/ 8 Black Neon Tetras/ 6 Bronze Corys/ 7 Pacific Blue Eye Signifer Rainbowfish/ 2 Amano shrimp/ x amount Cherry Shrimps & Bladder snails
Photo of tank:
20200814_142339.jpg

MacZ

Well Known
The Rainbows and the rasboras. Both need a bit more open water. As catching them will take you some time anyway, move them in batches.

OP
Ambie

Ambie

MacZ said:
The Rainbows and the rasboras. Both need a bit more open water. As catching them will take you some time anyway, move them in batches.
Since it water change day i'll start with the rainbows. The rainbows were never intended for my 20 long but the 20g tall i had setup got a Columnaris outbreak the day before they arrived in the mail. So i just threw them in my 20 long while i nuked and restarted the tank.
Do you think the rasboras will be fine for about 5 months?
Planning to upgrade to a 40B within the next year.

redmare

Well Known
For your original question, how to tell if the tank is overstocked- your fish will tell you! If they all look happy and healthy and are doing their thing, growing, eating, and exploring, then they probably are happy and healthy! It's really easy for us to say "x number of fish is too many" but in practice, your fish will let you know. Your water parameters will also tell you, and right now they're telling you they're fine. I don't know the rainbowfish species, but I don't see an issue with your stocking if all is well. I would trim some plants back to add some more swimming room though!

New Threads