How To Detect Stress

1. SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

How do you guys figure out the fish is in stress?? What symptoms to look for?
    In my particular case its guppies and neon tetras..i look for color mostly

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

they might loose color and be hiding alot. Those are the main indicators of stress.

3. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Some fish will get stress bars. Bettas do this. I do not have any photos of it, maybe others do.

4. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Unusual behaviours can also indicate stress, such as loss of activity or even increased activity - like pacing.

5. sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

My tetras totally lost color during the stress of moving from my LFS to the tank. They looked silver/gray until they were acclimated and released into the tank. When they were comfortable, they colored up to bright, vibrant colors

6. live4wetsleeves

live4wetsleeves Well Known Member Member

For me, I've just gotten to know my fishes' personalities and can detect subtle changes. Most of the time, as others have stated, it's a loss of color, timid behavior, hiding, sometimes they'll get spooked easily, and a loss of appetite. Those are usually the biggest red flags.

7. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

You wont have to worry about detecting stress as long as your parameters are good and the species youre keeping are compatible.