how to decorate? :)

1. cheese Member Member

hi everyone, I'm setting up a 55 gallon aquarium with play sand as the substrate, and I'd like a natural, nice looking set up, but not a "planted tank"
    I'd like driftwood, rocks, and maybe a few plants, but not many...not enough for it to be a "planted tank" maybe just 1 or 2 plants and some moss on something.
    so I'm wondering if I can see pictures of your "rocky, woody, not too planty" natural looking aquariums. sand or no sand. I'm just looking to get the juices flowing and figure out what to look for at the beach and such :) thanks for your time :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

3. cheese Member Member

thanks! :) I'm not really sure how to navigate around this site and find pictures and such so that's really helpful :)

4. sunshine2012 Member Member

You go to where it says browse and there will be a list of things and one of them will say photos and videos, click on it then there will be one that says photos then the next one will say videos and click on witch ever you want to view. I have found both photos and videos to be very helpful and a lot of people have beautiful setups.

5. azbev Member Member

You plan on picking stuff up off the beach? Hummmm .... I'm no expert on beach debris, but I'd be very careful putting stuff in your tank that's not "intended" for a fish tank. As I understand it, various rocks, wood, shells, etc. can affect water parameters. You can buy excellent Malaysian drift wood at most LFSs. It's safe as long as you soak it several hours or boil it. (I boiled mine and then soaked it. :) JMHO.

6. cheese Member Member

thanks...I'm pretty weary of putting anything I've found in my fish tanks...I'll be doing as much research as I can and posting pictures of what I plan to use on here and see what's safe and what's not...if there's any doubt, I won't use it. I just want to go collect a bunch of cool looking stuff, pick out what I can use, if anything, and put the rest back :) I might not find anything safe, but I might find a few things so we'll see. is there a site for ordering driftwood online? where you can see what kind of wood, and the size of it and everything, and there's quite a few choices? because I don't know what I want yet but some of the pieces of wood bought for aquariums are just beautiful :)

7. azbev Member Member

Just do a Google search for aquarium driftwood,

8. cheese Member Member

I have done this :) I'd like to find a site that shows the wood, and let's me buy it...googling isn't much help when I see one I like, and then that's the end of that, I can't buy it for my tanks, it's just on Google. so if anyone knows a good site that sells various types and sizes of driftwood for aquariums, I'd love to hear about it :)

9. martini4 Member Member

Most sites I've seen online for driftwood will just give you an estimated size and price. I don't think they'd be able to keep the site updated well enough to post photos of individual pieces. Most people buy it in bulk and pick out the ones they like, unfortunately

10. cheese Member Member

I kind of figured they wouldn't have pictures of individual pieces on there...although that'd be wonderful. I'm just hoping for...for example... azbev mentioned Malaysian driftwood. I'd like to see a photo, the name (Malaysian drift wood) and either approx sizes and prices, or even a price by weight like my LFS does, and you can choose your # of pieces. just something like this so I see a few options in 1 place. :)

11. martini4 Member Member

Try this http://www.aquariumplants.com/Driftwood-Bogwood-s/4.htm
    They actually have pics of individual pieces!

12. cheese Member Member

that's awesome! but wow I've never bought wood for an aquarium, but I probably wouldn't have much grocery money left if I bought some lol. I know what I should ask for for my birthday :) hehe

13. martini4 Member Member

Yeah, I didn't notice the prices until after I posted and went back to check it out myself, yikes!

14. azbev Member Member

If you Google Purchase Aquarium Driftwood you will see many places to purchase it. It is not all expensive, in my opinion. You asked earlier to see pictures of tanks, so here's mine. The Malasian driftwood is in the center, the dark area. This tank is semi-planted, just two annubias, the rest are plastic.
    [​IMG]

15. cheese Member Member

thanks :) I would never have guessed those plants were fake. if I can get away with making my tank look that good with fake plants then I'm definitely going to do so, because it'll be a 55 gallon GOLDFISH tank lol...I'd rather not grow expensive goldfish food :p

16. Geoff Well Known Member Member

This is my 36g with fake plants. They're NatGeo brand from PetSmart. I like how real they look.

[​IMG]

17. cheese Member Member

thanks :) is that real driftwood in there?? it looks great!

18. Geoff Well Known Member Member

Nope, that's fake too! Stones are real though.

19. cheese Member Member

wow! nice setup! I really hope mine looks good in the end because I've always been frustrated with how my tanks look, but I've never been brave enough to start a planted tank...that's just 1 extra thing to keep alive in there lol

20. azbev Member Member

I meant to mention that the driftwood in my tank is actually two pieces, moved together, one resting on top of the other at the highest point, making a neat and fairly big cave underneath. My DGs love it in there. Also, I highly recommend one or two annubias for live plants. They are super easy to grow, do well in low light, like to have most of their roots floating (so no worries when vacuuming). I bought mine on sale at PetSmart - they'd been in the store so long they had HUGE roots, which is why I bought them - started with an excellent root system. They've done well since day 1 in my tank, no added CO2, fertilizers or anything. They use oxygen, so it's a good idea to have an air stone or two. Good luck.