How to deal with PH Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by tony, Apr 5, 2010.

1. t

tony Valued Member Member

Hey all,
    I can never seem to get my ph at 7. It is always around 8. I tested the water that I use for water changes and it is at 7. Changing the water doesn't help my ph very much. Is there another way to keep my ph at neutral without using chemicals like ph up and ph down?

Thanks

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi. Good call not to use chemicals, as they can be unsteady and crash your tank. Most fish will adapt to the pH of your tank, so no tampering necessary. However, certain fish are more sensitive, especially if you are breeding them. In those cases, you can use peat or add driftwood to the tank.

3. D

David C Well Known Member Member

When you test your tap water and it reads 7, this may not be accurate. You really need to let water sit for a day or so before you can get a truly accurate reading. Just what I've read.

Dave

4. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

If your tap water is reading 7....I would think there is something in your tank, making it go up if you are fully cycled. Check your ornaments, rocks, etc.

Anything suspicious....take it out for a while and see if your Ph stabilizes. 7 to 8 is a huge jump. Calcium things as in Coral and shells would be first suspect.

5. OP
    OP
    t

tony Valued Member Member

Okay. Thank you all. There is nothing in my tank that wasn't built for an aqurium so I don't think that it is from something in there. I think it might have something to do with the waste put off by the cichlids. Maybe?

6. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I have a rock decoration in one of my tanks that is made for an aquarium. My pH was rising and I posted a pic, 2 different people contacted me and said they had similar decor that was raising there pH. So just because it was made for a tank doesn't mean it can't alter things. If you have something that you suspect take a bucket of your tap water and take the decor out of the tank and let it soak in the bucket for a day or two. If nothing changes put it back in the tank.

7. mathas

mathas Well Known Member Member

If anything, a long-term lack of tank maintenance and the resulting waste buildup should lead to a decrease in pH, not an increase. If you're doing water changes with any regularity, this is likely not a factor.

For further information:  

8. C

Candymancan Valued Member Member

You could always put driftwood in the tank. Get a nice heavy peice.. A solid one, that feal like its very dense inside. I have 2 that are like that, very heavy and dense for there size and they are like 15 years old and they still lower my PH. My PH is like 6.4-6.0 all the time while my moms is like 7.2 ish all the time

I bought them at the pet store.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice