How to deal with jumping?

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As I do not see the last of my parkinsoni in its tank I assume it was not alive this morning.
That was the last of my parkinsoni. we got 2 pair. First a female disappeared first week or two. No corpse. Later there was a fish smell in that area so the guess was that somehow she threaded the needle and made it out through the small hole the cords go into the tank through.
Then the other female died many months later. She looked fine. No sign of illness. She even left a good looking corpse.
About a month ago the dominant male showed up the same way. Tank params are fine. Corpse looks great.
Then last night the last male was laying on its face at the bottom gasping. My wife said she figured out what was killing them. When she fed the fish she said he jumped and banged hard into the corrugated plastic cover about 5x, after the last bang he went to the bottom.
Are jumping related fatalities normal for big rainbows like parkinsoni? These fish were beasts. Will I have to worry about this with my bosmani? How do you keep them from killing themselves? Soft net over tank instead of a normal cover? I'm guessing it is the cruel nature of mass that big fish die jumping and little ones just bounce off the cover.
Also sad that they only bred once and the plecos offered to help babysit the eggs.

I know my delphax cories were very dedicated jumpers for about a month of whacking into their cover then they learned not to do that. It was like constant popcorn with them bonking into the cover. They are all fine. Or maybe it is the surface plants that stopped the jumping and not that the fish learned.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry you lost your fish, jumping & hitting the lid could have been a factor but like your corys mine sometimes misjudge the tank depth & hit the glass sliders but I’ve never lost one through it.
Hope some other rainbow keepers will chime in & offer some insight or suggestions on ‘rainbow proofing’ your lid.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The only rainbows I've kept are turquoise, and while they get very active when feeding I've never noticed them hitting the glass. I wish I could help, but the only suggestions I'd have I'm sure you've already thought of, like what you mentioned about using netting instead of glass, or maybe lowering the water level.

I guess you could remove the cover when feeding, then replace it as soon as they've finished eating. That certainly isn't an ideal solution, but it might be the best option.

New Threads