How To Deal With An Unwanted Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by BlackOsprey, Apr 11, 2018.

1. BlackOspreyValued MemberMember

So, while I was gone due to college, my family bought an algae eater for the aquarium. They meant well, and the aquarium DID have an algae problem, but the issue is that they got a Chinese algae eater. I only recently found out that they develop very aggressive tendencies and stop being efficient algae eaters over time. I have several fish in that aquarium I'm pretty fond of and would very much not want to be harmed.

So, we're trying to figure out what to do with this bugger in the meantime. Obviously I'm not going to kill or release it. Putting it up for sale's too much of a hassle. Do pet stores accept unwanted fish?

2. LCB0612New MemberMember

sneak it into a neighbors koi pond or try to give it away. Some local fish stores will accept unwanted fish as well. If you can't get rid of t but need to you could always euthanize it but that would be a last resort.

3. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Go to a LFS or call them. Ask them if they can take it off your hands for credit. Offer to say “can you take him off your hands for $10 credit” and see if they’ll negotiate.

4. Seth15

Seth15Valued MemberMember

Most local fish stores will accept unwanted fish, some will even offer credit. If you can't find a store that will accept it, you could always ask around to see if anyone can provide a good home, or list it on Craigslist (It is not too much of a hassle).

5. Briggs

BriggsWell Known MemberMember

I've seen odd mixed tanks of 'surrendered' fish in a few lfs I've been to. I don't know if a chain will take them, but independents will usually at least take them in.

6. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

I agree. I have no experience doing this with Freshwater but have done this multiple times with my Marine Fish. Just make sure it isn't a chain pet store as they usually aren't open to that sort of thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice