How To Dampen The Flow Of An Aquaclear Without Making It Look Ugly?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by all-out-fallout, Apr 23, 2018.

1. all-out-fallout

all-out-falloutValued MemberMember

I have an AC50 on my twenty gallon tank, and even on the lowest setting it’s been shoving my smaller fish around. I already have a sponge sleeve over the filter intake and it still doesn’t slow the water enough.

I’d like to make a baffle for the outtake, but all the DIY baffles I’ve seen look a little junky. I made me aquarium to be peaceful and don’t really want plastic cups or bottles in there.

Has anyone found a good, nonobtrusive way to damper water output? How’d you do it?​

2. Buganjimo

BuganjimoWell Known MemberMember

I just stuff the thing with as much foam and media as I can possibly fit, dampens the flow quite nicely :D or put sponges on the outflow (not the basket)

3. SPC

SPCNew MemberMember

You should try adding plants in your aquarium suitable enough for your small fishes to take cover or relax .
    Featuring live plants in your aquarium not only makes it more attractive, but is much healthier for your aquarium's inhabitants. Live plants provide your fish a natural food source with the ability to replenish.The biggest benefit that live plants provide for your aquarium is that they produce oxygen (O2) and absorb the carbon dioxide (CO2) and ammonia (NH3) that your fish generate.
    Another method to deflect the water presssure from the filter is by adding rocks and caves stones in your filter. ......
    Rocks and caves act as buffers, redirecting strong water flow patterns . Try adding or rearranging natural or resin caves and structures in a way that reduces the impact of a powerful water flow pattern.
    In many cases your fish will find quiet havens where they can float with little effort.
    Solid structures help to quiet the overall turbulence in the aquarium.
    Driftwood also adds flow-diverting structure and creates slow-flow regions.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  4. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I do not know the filter you have. If it is a canister, and you can work with PVC get a length the size you like. Cap one end, drill holes say 1/4" untill the difused flow is where you want it.

5. OP
    OP
    all-out-fallout

Honestly this option sounds like a big plus. More filter media and gentler water flow? It’s a win-win!​

I have live plants, rocks, a cave, and driftwood. There are parts of the tank that are calm, but the whole left side is so turbulent my little tetras won’t go there. It also shoved food under the water... but I don’t think my loaches would consider that one a negative.​

My original post says I have an AC50, which is a HoB filter. Canisters sound interesting though. Might give them a try next tank.​

6. Buganjimo

BuganjimoWell Known MemberMember

Thats why I do it! I just started stuffing my ac20 for my betta tank, and realized it really helped slow the flow down, a plus for my lazy betta, and a huge plus for me!

7. Miaw

MiawValued MemberMember

I looked at the filter and it looks like might fit over the intake. It's not ugly to me :)

It's very fine so might reduce the flow more than the sponge you have.

I use them on a marina hob.

8. OP
    OP
    all-out-fallout

I’m thinking I might stuff another sponge at the top. Double the sponge sounds good to me, haha.​

As I wrote above I already have my intake baffled. I actually use this exact model of prefilter too. It’s grreat for keeping big chunks of debris out of my filter.​

9. Miaw

MiawValued MemberMember

I read that. You could have been using a pretty coarse sponge which wouldn't dampen the flow as much. :emoji_handshake:

10. pugletfan

pugletfanWell Known MemberMember

I have the same filter. I dampened the flow by attaching a coarse sponge on the outflow with a rubber band.

df61d58c71501c90f17e742e27c5f99e.jpg

It works but I don't love the look of the yellow sponge. Maybe I'll try to fit it in the filter! Or look for a black sponge. I think black would look better on the outflow.

11. OP
    OP
    all-out-fallout

Looks like I was the one not reading carefully enough. That’s what I get for fiddlingonmy phone while at work, haha.​

Just got a coarse sponge and squeezed it between my filter and the hood of my tank. The water is finally gentle enough for my tetras to come to the surface to feed! Thanks so much for the awesome suggestion.​