How to cycle RCS breeding tank

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I got a used 10gal tank with hood, gravel, internal filter with Knee High pre-filter and a double sponge filter. How do I cycle it for my shrimp without fish? I have some Java fern but nothing else. How long after it cycles can I add Red Cherry Shrimp? I read that if I add Tetra Safe Start I can add fish immediately but what about shrimp? My other two tanks are dirted and planted. I guess the plants helped cycle them.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'd put the sponge filter in your main tank for a while to build up some bb, shrimp have a tiny bioload so it shouldn't take too long for the filter to have enough bb to support them

3. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

But don't I have to put fish in there or the bacteria will die? I was only to have shrimp. How long do you think without any fish?

4. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

If you run the sponge filter in your current tank you have setup for 2-3 weeks you should be able to take it out after that time and add it to your new tank and add your shrimp the same day you should instantly cycle the tank this way and would not have to put any fish in the new tank.

5. smee82 Well Known Member Member

No you dont have to put fish in your tank. The BB will build up enough to take care of the wast your shrimp produce. Just be careful you dont over feed and create a build up of ammonia which will cause a mini cycle.

6. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Its not the fish that makes TSS work. Any creature in the tank has what we call a 'bio-load'. Easiest explanation is they poop. Poop turns into ammonia which is what the bacteria live off of. So don't get caught on the way TSS explains it :) the other thing is if your water conditioner is something like Prime, or "binds/neutralizes" ammonia then you have to wait 24 hours before adding the TSS.