How To Cycle A Saltwater Tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by shiv234, Aug 5, 2017.

1. shiv234

shiv234Well Known MemberMember

can i use pure ammonia(100%) to cycle it or do i need something special and there will be live rock

2. danefrndsValued MemberMember

Jst add one peice of any food in the tank and the cycle will start. For faster cycle add bio spira

3. OP
    OP
    shiv234

l
    like flakes or pellets and does it have to be specially for saltwater fish food

4. danefrndsValued MemberMember

Add a peice of a shrimp a very small peice of shrimp

5. OP
    OP
    shiv234

is that it??so i don't have to add ammonia for a few weeks till a cycle starts? And why shrimp?

6. danefrndsValued MemberMember

Yes thats it the shrimp will release ammonia in the tank little things will get a lot done in a saltwater aquarium some even cycle the tank without any ammonia addition ... Jst add a small peice of shrimp n leave the rest to the super smart bacterias

7. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

8. OP
    OP
    shiv234

so it the same as cycling a fw aquarium or do i have to look for different things

9. Nart

NartWell Known MemberMember

Pure ammonia works fine. Just make sure you have dry/live rocks in it and monitor the ammonia/nitrite cycle throughout the process, but yes, it's the same as cycling a freshwater.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice