How To Cycle A New Tank With Fry In It?

blackguilty

Reaction score
Need some advise what to do if i want to cycle a new tank with fry in it. They're 3 months old but the biggest grow only a half inch so i buy a new 15 gallons tank so they have more space to grow. I use only sponge filter from the last tank. And right now my tank is a little bit cloudy. Any suggestion what to do next to success the cycle?

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I did pretty much the same thing. I just put half of the old tank water in the new tank and half fresh water with a chunk of the filter media/pad/floss what ever you have that you know already has beneficial bacteria in it and let er rip.
Everythings going good.
I also had a few pounds of cycled gravel and a tonne of plants i tossed in. That probably helped

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the sponge filter that was in their original tank was cycled (that just means that it has grown a colony of bacteria) then you can just move everything from the small tank to the bigger one including the water (it is the water they are used to) and then top it off with fresh water. Both the fish and the bacteria will just think they had a big water change. A short time mini cycle is possible and that may be why you are seeing cloudy water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom