how to create land for my fire belly newt

1. fbn Well Known Member Member

Hello, I have a fire belly newt in a 10 gallon tank. I keep the water fairly high. I am wanting to get another one, but I know I need more land. I would rather not buy a cave or something to that effect, because for one I would have to get a cave that is very high (probably would be expensive) and two some caves wouldn't be smooth enough. So, I was wondering how can I make my own land? Oh, and piling up rocks is not an option. thanks!

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Well my immediate response would be, put a brick or two one on top of the other, so that the water is 2-3" deep above the bricks then put substrate on top of the bricks until it rises out of the water
    But i guess that kind of counts as piling rocks up?

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

both of the options you DONT want to do, is the way to do it....they really need dry land with some water to go back too...as you know im sure....if you are keeping fish in the 10g with them, you need the floating log ....they got to have a place to get out of the water occasionally....

4. fbn Well Known Member Member

I do have a place for him to get out of the water. No, he is not with fish. The problem is is I need more land if I get another newt. The water is probably around 5 inches high.

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

6. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

Just out of curiosity, why don't you want to pile up rocks?

7. crazedACD Member Member

You could silicone a plexiglass partition in...get EXACT measurements, use tape to make the silicone lines neat, and glue it in there. Only problem is what to fill in on the land side, its going to get pretty gross on the bottom quickly. You could probably get creative and just make a platform and like two supporting bars (silicone one edge to the aquarium wall). Silicone a small rubber mat to the platform so it's hanging off for easy climing access...?

8. fbn Well Known Member Member

Good idea iloveengel...and aquatic mouse I do not have enough rocks. I have large rocks that you buy from a decorating store. Like river rocks. I like the look of them.