How to create depth in a thin tank

SouthAmericanCichlids

So I am going to be rescaping my 55g tank and I want to add some depth to it, but I am struggling on how to, so what are your strategies to add depth to a thin tank.

Also, just for ideas, could you guys just post pics of any 55g aquascape you have.

BigManAquatics

Some backgrounds can help give the illusion of depth. Maybe take a look at some.

TClare

Sloping the substrate so that it is shallow at the front and deeper at the back can help.

Thunder_o_b

I can't seem to find the file with the shots of the 55 builds.

The principles used in this 44 pent would be the same. Have the scape form a 'U' shape to the front on the left and the right then have a structure arch at an angle in the back center to the back wall.

JLAquatics

Another tip I have for you with scaping a more shallow tank is using plants with larger leaves in the front while having taller plants with smaller leaves behind. This will create the illusion that the tank is much deeper than it actually is. Additionally, using Hardscape elements the same way (regarding size) can also help achieve this look.

If you 55 gallon is quite shallow yet longer, using a convex aquascape layout with an open section off-center can really help shape such a perspective of depth.

KingOscar

One idea I considered is to build a tray on the back of the aquarium, fill with substrate/hard scape/plants. Light it from above. I have not done it yet but in my imagination it seems it could be made to look nice. A 3D background that matches and complements the main tank.

Thunder_o_b

An old shot of one of the 55 aquariums.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CoolCoryCatz
Replies
Views
Acadianer
Replies
Views
ANudibranch