How to cool a houseplant

Joshaeus

Hi everyone! Here's a question not asked every day...namely, how does one go about cooling a houseplant (rather than the houseplant cooling the house)? I am interested in growing Lachenalia plants indoors, but while I could easily provide sufficient light for such small plants with my lamps (I currently have a gerbera daisy blooming several months straight from a sufficiently potent lamp) they really prefer temps between freezing and the low 60's during their fall to spring growing period (they go dormant in summer) and I made the boneheaded decision of placing my bed next to my window when we moved into this apartment (and it would be very hard for me to move my bed at this point), so I can't simply place them near my window. Would directing a small fan at the plant(s) do the trick by encouraging evaporative cooling from the leaves? (Obviously they would need more water with that method). Thanks for your input

AggressiveAquatics

Where are you located is it cold enough to just have it outside?

ferg42995

Do you have a porch or balcony? Or maybe your garage?

Joshaeus

AggressiveAquatics said:
Where are you located is it cold enough to just have it outside?
Too cold - zone 6 (they do not tolerate frost)
ferg42995 said:
Do you have a porch or balcony? Or maybe your garage?
I DO have a porch. It is not protected, however, which would quickly become a problem in winter. I'm wondering if this plant may not be practical for me to grow...

AggressiveAquatics

Joshaeus said:
Too cold - zone 6 (they do not tolerate frost)

I DO have a porch. It is not protected, however, which would quickly become a problem in winter. I'm wondering if this plant may not be practical for me to grow...
Wait.... this sounds stupid but keep it in the fridge maybe

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom